Used 2002 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Nice truck, Terrible Fuel Economy
By maxlessca

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've been looking around for my first vehicle for the last 2 years. I really wanted a car, which could tow a 2000lb trailer. I eventually gave up the struggle and bought a Ranger. It was the 4.0L with every option except 4wd. All my friends/ family love it. I was so happy with my purchase... until I started filling it up. It has terrible fuel economy. I'm very light footed and I average 11mpg city and 18mpg highway with cruise on 60mph. (Worst fill-up so far was 9.5mpg) Also, the 6-disc CD changer went on me the first time I put a CD in it. It jammed up on me. I love the towing capabilities and the features (air, cruise, power everything, strong engine), but the fuel economy is terrible.

Love the features and 4.0L power. Bought the Ranger model with the highest tow rating (5860lbs)and it is very nice to tow with. It fits in tight spaces, yet hauls bigger loads. Much cheaper than a Toyota.

I bought the step-side (mistake) and it is a couple inches shy of 48" wide. I need a trailer to buy a 4x8 sheet of plywood. Fuel economy is hurting me. Coming from a family of Toyota's and Honda's, I hate Ford's transmissions. They need to be refined more.

Good, reliable truck
By 2002 Ranger Owner

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Ford Ranger SuperCab (4- cylinder with a manual transmission) new in 2002. It has been 100% reliable with no problems ever. I am extremely pleased with its reliability, quality of Ford workmanship, and most of all the gas mileage performance. Before I purchased my Ranger, I test drove the Chevy S-10, Nissan Frontier, and Toyota Tacoma. I decided on the Ford Ranger because of its price and the cab size seemed to me to be larger than the other trucks. It is a great truck, fun to drive, and it has been 100% reliable. Preventative maintenance is easy.

The gas mileage and reliability has been the most pleasing feature of my 2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab. I have always gotten 26 mpg in city driving and 32 mpg highway driving. During these times of high gas prices, filling up the gas tank is not such an excruciating experience.

The trade-in value on Ford Rangers are disapointing. I wish I had purchased my Ford Ranger SuperCab with an automatic transmission and cruise control. I really don't have any negative comments to say about my Ford Ranger. It is a great, little truck.

Horrible vehicle
By Ted Parks

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned eight Ford vehicles, but this 2002 Ranger had more problems than I could list here, and they were repeatedly worked on by the dealer and seldom resolved. The Company Customer Service was non-existent, and I will never, NEVER buy another Ford vehicle

Fix transmission problems. Fix cruise control -- defective from factory. Fix front brakes and install rotors that don't wear completely out in two years. Correct problem with drivers seat that break bolts every few months. Fix windows on both doors that won't seal. Fix back window that rattles.

Another good Ford
By Bill Meana

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Ford Ranger. I upgraded with the options each time. The current vehicle i am driving has the 4 liter engine with the towing package and it handles my 2000 lb boat very well. I will definitely buy another Ford.

Extended cab with 4 doors. Towing package. Power windows and door locks. 4 liter V6 Sand color (doesn't show dirt). 2 jump seats for children.

Larger mirrors with the towing package. Better gas mileage. Back of seat small cargo storage for maps, magazines etc.

2002 Ford Ranger
By 2002 Ford Ranger

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2002 Ford Ranger since August 2002, and overall I am extremely happy with my purchase. I don't know why so many of the automobile trade magazines and even you Edmunds put down the Ford Ranger as being obsolete! I compared the Ford Ranger against the Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, and Chevrolet S-10 at the time and I choose the Ford Ranger. My Ford Ranger has been reliable 100% of the time. It is easy to do the routine preventative maintenance. The price was right. I get better gas mileage (28 mpg in town driving and 34 mpg highway driving) than what the sticker showed for estimated expected MPG. If I were to buy another truck, I would definitely buy a Ford again.

I like the gas mileage (28 mpg in town driving and 34 mpg highway driving) because it is even better than the sticker showed for estimated expected mpg. And the price was right. I also liked the sales service that the Ford dealer gave to me.

I would probably buy an automatic the next time when I buy another Ford truck.