Used 2002 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Best compact truck ever!
By jermz17

2002 Ford Ranger XLT Appearance 2dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck with almost 100K miles on it, It drives good and preforms good, I have a 2WD 4 door super cab and could not ask for more, in the winter it handles the snow well and in the summer it handles the asphalt better. It tow almost 6K worth of goods and gets up to speed when you want it too, the only problems I have ever had were the oil sender sensor and a valve spring breaking, other than that its the perfect compact pickup I have ever owned!

Seating, 4 door super cab, 50/50 jump seats, power, towing and handling.

none.

As cheap as it gets
By dalbunosky

2002 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Parents got the truck thanks to house remodeling and continued house work. Ours was an automatic. Its fit and finish is seriously rough! I understand that it is bare-bones, but does the gear indicator have to be so...off? The engine is too weak and shakes the car like a manual on 3rd gear during take-off, but decent MPGs for a truck though, around mid-20s. Brakes are sensitive and effective. Feels like I am about to fall off the seat when turning. Middle "seat" is completely useless, and I don't know if the feds count it as one. Lost a lot of things thanks to a shallow pit of a door rail/handle.

This truck looks good. Decent MPGs for a 2002 truck. Good for rough roads, possibly offroad, although never seen them used offroad. Good for light duty construction.

The engines are seriously weak. Since Ranger drivers are for home-owners and light construction crews, they usually stick to gravel, dirt (and asphalt). A unibody should be fine. (Now that the Escape has changed, the Ranger might as well change too. Can't sustain a chassis by itself) Use a deeper well door well/rail/handle. Fit and finish seriously needs improvement.

Survived a 60mph accident and walked away
By dwiglesworth

2002 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This was my first truck. I loved to drive it and it handles well. I would buy another ford ranger again and again. I was driving and hit a patch of sand on a corner and the back end slipped out from under me and I was doing about 60mph side ways when I slammed into a steal pole. It hit just a little bit infront of the drivers door. The complete dash was broken in 2 and all the windows were shattered. This was a very very very serious crash and I was able to get out and walk away with no major injuries. I was wearing my seat belt and the air bags did not deploy. I only suffered minor cuts to the face from my head breaking the drivers window. I thank this truck from being able to save my life.

MPG's, Fun to drive, and many many more

Side airbags standard

My 1st truck, Love it!
By ERS

2002 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

i am a big ford fan, but i wanted fuel economy and some power and reliability! This truck has towed and pushed 2 trucks already, with no problem, good power for a 4 cylinder. Just wish it was 4x4 with a 4.0 and a 5 speed

pretty good fuel mileage, plenty of power for me, and love the features!

cant think of any, that i would need.

Great For New Driver!
By Billy

2002 Ford Ranger Edge 2dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it for my sons first vehicle. It had 60,000 miles on it and I wanted a good dependable truck that would not cost a lot to drive and maintain. It gets around 19 mpg on the road. It has no rattles at all and drives like a new one. No problems at all. I wish they make more trucks like these.

Solid built!

Needs a little more power!