2002 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
4.0L FX4
By Greg on 08/11/10 05:25 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck used with 25,000 miles on it. Ford had a cruise control sensor recall that took over 7 months. I've had about 3 other sensors go out. Transfer case went out at 63,000. Driver side power lock is messing up. Right now it's just over 80,000 miles. I do not see how this truck is rated to max tow of 5600. I can notice a significant power loss just hauling a 16 ft. boat or my Polaris RZR on a 6x12 trailer.

You should look again at a Ford Ranger
By Ranger Satisfied on 08/08/10 16:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My 2002 Ford Ranger (2.3 L, I-4, Supercab) has been 100% reliable. The only repairs that I have had to perform is the normal, routine maintenance. I have never had a more reliable vehicle. I am especially happy with the gas mileage (28 mpg on average). I purchased my Ford Ranger new after driving all the competitive small trucks. My Ford Ranger is definitely a no frills truck, but I am happy with the quality of it. I would highly recommend the Ford Ranger for being a responsible purchase, and I feel I got the most for my money when I bought it. I have read all the trade magazine reports how Ford Rangers are out-of-date and obsolete, but my truck has been 100% reliable. No complaints.

Highly dissapointed with 3.0 L power
By aquaman828 on 05/04/10 18:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this truck in Feb 09 and have had it for just over a year now. I got a great deal, so i bought it. The reliability of this truck is good, i haven't had any problems with it; just routine maintenance. This suspension is now decent after putting on KYB gas shocks. The 3.0 L engine is dangerously lacking power. The fuel economy is atrocious. It is a 6 cyl engine with V8 fuel economy and 4 cyl acceleration. I know nothing is wrong with my engine, just a terribly outdated design. Maybe good in the 90's but not now. The f150 has more power and gets better gas mileage. I see 14 mpg city, 17 hwy. Everyone who say it is good should test drive another truck, and wise up. 4.0l is also weak!

The blue ghost
By raymondlatulippe@yah on 03/21/10 21:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT Appearance 2dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My name is rayray I got my ranger in 2002 love at first site xlt supercab 3.0 v6 5 speed automatic bright island blue it is only a4x2 never got stuck. I live in mass how about 6 to 8 inches of snow no problem. I put 20s chromes and a chip but it is very rough on the trany I also put bilstien shocks and fuel injection this truck is a looker i have 66,500 miles on it. Iwant to do a lot more to her. The best way is to buy one stock and do the add-ons yourself. You will glad you did great truck my girl says I spend more time with the ghost than her haha she is right. So go buy a Ford ranger you will be glad you did. Rayray!

Tough as nails
By Trouble Maker on 02/10/10 21:14 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab LB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am 19, in college, and have had this truck since I could drive in highschool. I can already tell you I have put more abuse in this truck in the time i've had it than most ever deserve. I've juiced the ol' Trouble Maker up since getting it, various engine upgrades, exhaust, and now I have the numbers to 175 horses and 200+ fp of torque in the EXTREMELY outdated Vulcan 3.0. Not particularly fast, (though geared very well) and fuel mileage leaves alot to be desired, the one thing this motor and truck has is unwavering, stubborn loyalty. Since having it I have pulled heavier trucks out of steep trails, and had many adventures where my truck was the star. all without any problems. At all.

Great truck
By Steve on 08/18/09 10:44 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

For the price, you can't beat this truck. I've put 145K miles on mine and haven't had a problem yet. I have the 4.0L and the power and pick up is great, I can get around traffic with ease. It makes a good sleeper if you're going against GTI's, Civics and the like. Insurance and maintenance costs are cheep. It's half the price of the Taco's. Decent ergonomics, definitely go for the bucket seats. You can use parts from the 95-01 explorers to give you an over head console with a temperature gauge, leather seats, etc. Overall, the greatest truck on the market.

Very good bargain
By cecild on 04/20/09 10:16 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Use it to deliver pizzas 30 hours a week for almost 2 years. Almost all miles city driving. Despite me having the 4 cylinder and 2wd I did alot of stupid things every weekend in the mud with the truck and it refused to break down. The interior may be akward for someone over about 6 feet tall. Could get better mileage for a 4 cyl. but is not bad. Surprisingly powerful for a 4 cylinder but will not blow anyone off the road by any means. I also use it to tow a small john boat once or twice a week in the summer and will load the bed to the top in ice/hot dogs for work and still performed well. Would suggest this truck to anyone who wants a small pick up for work or play. Trucks a good bargain.

great truck
By trodome on 03/03/09 13:50 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger Edge 4dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

this is really a great truck - only had one small problem so far and to replace the fuel pump - other than that not bad does great in the snow and also great for towing - this is my second ranger my other was a 96 which was smaller and had a 4 cylinder - i wanted more power

My Ranger is no more
By heeler on 02/10/09 10:56 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This was my second Ranger. My first was a 1992 single cab XLT with a then 100 h.p. weak 2.3 engine with a 5 speed manual. Very good truck for what it was. Bought my 02 at the end of the model year and paid 14,000 before tax for a loaded supercab. Very reliable truck that in it's life only needed front brakes at 73k,two serpentine belts,two batteries,and finally at 92k the power steering pump started leaking and was replaced. Oh yea and at 65k one of the rear turn signal bulbs burned out. Usually would get 18-19 mpg's going to and from work and 21 mpg with the cruise set on 77 mph. The 3.0 liter engine coupled with the 5 speed auto is great. Last week I totaled her. So sad.

Happy trucker!
By happy trucker on 11/09/08 11:46 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger Edge 2dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my truck for nearly four years, and have absolutly no complaints. This car is very reliable. Other than the regular maintenance, I have not had to put any more money into this car. I would recommend this car to everyone, especially new drivers. It makes an amazing first car.