Used 2002 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Ranger XLT 2wd 5sp 4cyl
By Roger Vaughan

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Very good, reliable, comfortable basic truck. Kind of like pick-up trucks used to be. Not a huge, oversize gas and road hog. Wife says most comfortable seat she has been in. Gas mileage is great, always high 20's to 30.

I love this truck.
By steepndeep

2002 Ford Ranger Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This Ranger is a great vehicle. It shows that Ford has really stepped up their products since the 80's. I could have paid 1000's more for a less powerful but otherwise equal Toyota. But why would I? Good handling, quiet ride, plenty of power for towing and handling medium loads like jet skis and medium trailers with considerable weight. The only thing I don't like is that something in the interior rattles when I play a song with much base, but I just turn up the music a little and then I don't even hear it.

Favorite Features

Limited slip differenial, 4.0 liter power, 4 doors, 4x4 and very effective ABS.

Suggested Improvements

Less espensive Fords can usually use a good boost in trim quality, and that applies here, although not nearly as bad as in the past. Eliminate interior rattling.

This is one bad truck
By TINY MARTIN

2002 Ford Ranger Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Man, I owned a 1988 Ranger XLT for 13 years and loved it. Decided to try another Ranger. Got me an Edge 4 dr and love it. It is one bad truck. Powerful engine, smooth ride and great look. I love the styling and the way it sits up. It turns heads and I have really fallen in love with it. The gas mileage is actually better than advertised. I would put this truck against a Toyota Prerunner any day for durability and styling.

Favorite Features

Styling, performance, power, ride, interior design, 6 CD player, 4 doors.

Suggested Improvements

None.

My little blue truck
By Bob Hudson

2002 Ford Ranger Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

So far I have 34,000 miles on this one. Sharp looking truck. Love the styling and sturdy ride. Several issues have been addressed (under warranty, luckily). Fan belt idler pulley, drive shaft, power mirror switch, rear door problems to name a few. Fuel mileage is pretty decent. 18.50 city - 22 hwy. Overall I love my Ranger and intend to keep it for a very long time.

Favorite Features

Styling, ride.

Suggested Improvements

More robust hinges on rear doors.

My First Ford Truck
By Dave

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck was built with for quality making it affordable and reliable. I use it for my landscaping business and it has never failed me the past 8 months; it has not been in the shop for a single mechanical defect! Comfortable and enough power, but still gets about 21 MPG. This truck is my first car and I would advise anyone who wants a truck for work, buy a Ford, you wont be sorry.

Favorite Features

A good truck that is built tough, yet affordable for a 16 year old.