2002 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Wahoo, I got a Truck
By Zim on 04/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Engine is powerful and has good torque. Seems to be engine rattle when cold passing through first and second gear.

Good bye
By Ford man U.S.A on 04/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my ranger edge last year and I love it.I really like the performance.I am a competitive person so I like to race here and there and I have to tell you I have friends who have all types of trucks.I never lost to a toyota tacoma 3.4,supercharged nissan,chevy s- 10 or even the 4.7 dodge.They were all equally equipped.The dodge was the closest but still behind,and this is no lie,we all dragged at an NHRA track.Must be the 4.10 gears and 5 spd.auto.also lighter.

1st Ranger a lemon, 2002 Ranger a WIN!
By Old Car Junky on 03/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We had a 2000 Ranger 3.0 that was a lemon. We gave Ford one more chance and looked for a 4.0 5-speed automatic to avoid any more problems. We wanted a 4.0 auto (no sloppy long-throw shifting) and power group (8 turn crank windows?). We couldn't find one without dumb bed rails, idiotic step bars, bedliner/tonneau, but finally found one. Drives quietly, muscular amount of pep and more ground clearance than competitors. Rangers are outrageous at MSRP, many dealers are doing $5000 off MSRP, take your pick of 15. We were picky about color and not wanting a stick, After six dealers, we ended up giving $17,500 on a $24,700 MSRP.

Transmision Woes
By fujiman_nb on 03/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm on my third, yes third transmission with this vehicle. I had approx. 1200 miles on it when the cap on the transmission cracked and leaked fluid. Ford replaced the whole transmission with a new one. 1000 miles later the same problem again. This time the dealer rebuilt the unit, $1624.00 in parts, and upgraded the cap. I should note that I was not the only one with this problem. Another truck came in the same day as I did with the original problem. They got the same fix and they were back within a week of my second repair for the samething. Gas mileage is poor poor. It is rated for 28 on the highway. I do nothing but highway driving and my average mileage is 20.4

My new ranger FX4
By RedRanger on 03/14/02 11:56 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

To start off with I have to say this truck is awesome! I had a 00' Ranger XLT 4x4 and that truck doesn't compare to my new one. With all the features you get with the FX4 package your not left wanting anything more. This is definently the best ranger ever made. I also love the looks I get driving down the road from all the other truck owners, especially since I still haven't seen another FX4 on the road yet anywhere.

LOUD wind noise
By derf on 03/08/02 16:00 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger XL 2dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I had a '94 4.0 reg. cab with 170,000. Excellent truck. I traded it in for a 2002 extended cab 4.0. The driver seat is breaking down. I'll need to take it in for them to build it back. The worst is that is is loud on the road over 55 mph. I get a bad wind noise between the doors. The truck seems "thin" because when I'm on the highway, the ground noise picks up. I really don't like the noise level. I wonder if some it is cause of th Firestone tires.

I love my Ranger
By sohc2001 on 03/07/02 13:15 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle gets used as a primary work/play vehicle, as well as Fire Dept. response. I have the 4.0 for peformance reasons, it runs great.

Cool Truck
By Colt on 03/06/02 20:37 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very Cool Truck

EXELENT
By Tommy Boy on 03/04/02 20:16 PM (PST)

Great truck all around.

what a basic truck should be...
By daniel963 on 03/04/02 18:06 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Trucks are getting too FANCY!!! Nobody really has a true basic model at a reasonable price... except this Ford Ranger!!! Even the S-10 is climbing up in price.