Used 2002 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

2002 Ranger 4x2 Supercab 3.0
By Mongo

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this with 3,000 miles on it, now has 41,000 miles. Except oil and filter changes I've had to do no repairs. Bought a Ford Extended warranty - may have wasted $800.00 on it. Has a manual transmission which shifts effortlessly. Only thing I wish I had was a tilt steering wheel as I'm 6'4" and sometimes my knee knocks the turn signal on.

Favorite Features

The 3.0 liter engine has plenty of power. I tow a small 21 foot bass boat and have had no problems. I love the chrome Ford.

Suggested Improvements

Don't do long trips, used for commuting, hunting/fishing and light hauling. But if you plan to drive long distances do get the tilt wheel/cruise. Also add an option to not have jump seats. I use the extended cab to store equipment, not to haul people and sometimes the seat handles obstruct.

A Big Little Truck
By Joe.C

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just picked up my used XLT to replace my weak, extremely uncomfortable, gas guzzling '04 Nissan Frontier. The exterior styling is great. The ride quality is dead on and interior room is outstanding. I am 6'0" with long legs and I am so comfortable. This past weekend I was riding around with 3 other adults in there. The 3.0L is a little weak but it's not meant to be a speed demon. This vehicle had 36K on it when I picked it up and it's great. My Nissan with only 5K on it had squeaks and rattles. I always liked Ford trucks and I am glad to own one. Great buy, best in its class by far. I should have bought this truck first. Live and learn I guess. I learned the Ranger is the best choice

Favorite Features

Interior room. Ride quality is great. Sound system is awesome. Fun to drive. Feels like a full size truck.

Suggested Improvements

None at this time. Ford already improved the little that was wrong.

A Big Little Truck
By Joe.C

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just picked up my used XLT to replace my weak, extremely uncomfortable, gas guzzling '04 Nissan Frontier. The exterior styling is great. The ride quality is dead on and interior room is outstanding. I am 6'0" with long legs and I am so comfortable. This past weekend I was riding around with 3 other adults in there. The 3.0L is a little weak but it's not meant to be a speed demon. This vehicle had 36K on it when I picked it up and it's great. My Nissan with only 5K on it had squeaks and rattles. I always liked Ford Trucks and I am glad to own one. Great buy, best in its class by far. I should have bought this truck first. Live and learn I guess. I learned the Ranger is the best choice

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

None at this time. Ford already improved the little that was wrong.

best small pickup I've ever owned
By stoshu

2002 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought the truck new. No options except CD player and a/c. I had a few problems with the engine skipping/sputtering a bit, all under warranty, and they fixed everything! The tray under the radio rattles, but that's about my only complaint. Gets great gas mileage , I got the 4 banger, and the radio is great. Handles very well for a small pickup, I've put 60,000 miles on it and the original tires still look ok. The last new pick up i bought was a '92 Chevy S-10 Tahoe loaded with a 2.8 v-6. I drove the wheels off it for 8 years and the only thing that didn't break or rattle was the engine. I will never buy a GM product again. Ford is the way to go, I'll give this 1/2 ton to my son & buy another.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage! Engine runs like a Swiss watch, tranny shifts great (manual) and not many rattles on interior. The a/c will make you freeze and the heat will burn you up. These are good things. :)

Suggested Improvements

Less rattles on interior of truck. One rattle is too many!

Love this truck
By love this truck

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had 2 Rangers. Over 8 years have had 1 problem with the O2 sensors that cost about $200 dollars and have been places that 4 wheel drive had problems going. This is a good truck.

Favorite Features

I love the heated seats; heats very fast then you almost have to cut them off.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the O2 sensors.