Used 2002 Ford Ranger Edge Plus SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

It's a great truck
By Ray

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck new in '02. I now have 140,000 miles on it. It still looks and drives like new. I have only had to do routine maintenance. It was in the shop 1 time for a sensor that went out of range and that was covered by the warranty. All I have had to do is keep the oil changed, brakes, and tires. It's the most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

The ride and feel of this vehicle hugging the road. Great look.

Suggested Improvements

Find better tires that than the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S. They dont stay round or balanced. Gas mileage not the best, 15 to 19mpg.

I love this truck.
By steepndeep

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This Ranger is a great vehicle. It shows that Ford has really stepped up their products since the 80's. I could have paid 1000's more for a less powerful but otherwise equal Toyota. But why would I? Good handling, quiet ride, plenty of power for towing and handling medium loads like jet skis and medium trailers with considerable weight. The only thing I don't like is that something in the interior rattles when I play a song with much base, but I just turn up the music a little and then I don't even hear it.

Favorite Features

Limited slip differenial, 4.0 liter power, 4 doors, 4x4 and very effective ABS.

Suggested Improvements

Less espensive Fords can usually use a good boost in trim quality, and that applies here, although not nearly as bad as in the past. Eliminate interior rattling.

This is one bad truck
By TINY MARTIN

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Man, I owned a 1988 Ranger XLT for 13 years and loved it. Decided to try another Ranger. Got me an Edge 4 dr and love it. It is one bad truck. Powerful engine, smooth ride and great look. I love the styling and the way it sits up. It turns heads and I have really fallen in love with it. The gas mileage is actually better than advertised. I would put this truck against a Toyota Prerunner any day for durability and styling.

Favorite Features

Styling, performance, power, ride, interior design, 6 CD player, 4 doors.

Suggested Improvements

None.

My little blue truck
By Bob Hudson

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

So far I have 34,000 miles on this one. Sharp looking truck. Love the styling and sturdy ride. Several issues have been addressed (under warranty, luckily). Fan belt idler pulley, drive shaft, power mirror switch, rear door problems to name a few. Fuel mileage is pretty decent. 18.50 city - 22 hwy. Overall I love my Ranger and intend to keep it for a very long time.

Favorite Features

Styling, ride.

Suggested Improvements

More robust hinges on rear doors.

Gas Guage Drops Fast
By sgiersch

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

First of all, the truck is beautiful, and I still think it is one of the classiest looking trucks on the road. But when I first got it, I took it back to the dealer for a check because the fuel economy was about 1/2 what was advertised, and there was a noticably rough idle. The service manager put a fuel meter on it and we went for a ride. He claimed the fuel mileage was right on (19) and that the idle was normal. Three more trips back to the shop and I gave up. Other than the square tires, it has been pretty reliable. I would buy again as a second vehicle (would get one with better fuel economy for a first vehicle.

Favorite Features

Four doors makes the rear seat are very accessible. Flare side makes the truck classy looking.

Suggested Improvements

Smooth out the idle and be truthful about fuel economy ratings. Put tires that last on the truck.