Used 2002 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

You should look again at a Ford Ranger
By Ranger Satisfied

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My 2002 Ford Ranger (2.3 L, I-4, Supercab) has been 100% reliable. The only repairs that I have had to perform is the normal, routine maintenance. I have never had a more reliable vehicle. I am especially happy with the gas mileage (28 mpg on average). I purchased my Ford Ranger new after driving all the competitive small trucks. My Ford Ranger is definitely a no frills truck, but I am happy with the quality of it. I would highly recommend the Ford Ranger for being a responsible purchase, and I feel I got the most for my money when I bought it. I have read all the trade magazine reports how Ford Rangers are out-of-date and obsolete, but my truck has been 100% reliable. No complaints.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is the No. 1 feature that I like most about my 2002 Ford Ranger. When I drive straight out highway driving, I have gotten over 32 mpg. On average between city and highway driving, I have always gotten between 27 mpg to 28.5 mpg. The air conditioner works great.

Suggested Improvements

If I have any negative comment to report, it would be the trade-in value of my Ford Ranger. It is dismal. I don't understand why Ford Rangers have such low trade in values, because it is a quality built truck. I wish my Ford Ranger had hinges on the extended cab so it would provide easier access.

Great truck
By Steve

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

For the price, you can't beat this truck. I've put 145K miles on mine and haven't had a problem yet. I have the 4.0L and the power and pick up is great, I can get around traffic with ease. It makes a good sleeper if you're going against GTI's, Civics and the like. Insurance and maintenance costs are cheep. It's half the price of the Taco's. Decent ergonomics, definitely go for the bucket seats. You can use parts from the 95-01 explorers to give you an over head console with a temperature gauge, leather seats, etc. Overall, the greatest truck on the market.

Favorite Features

Power

Suggested Improvements

4 real doors

My Ranger is no more
By heeler

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This was my second Ranger. My first was a 1992 single cab XLT with a then 100 h.p. weak 2.3 engine with a 5 speed manual. Very good truck for what it was. Bought my 02 at the end of the model year and paid 14,000 before tax for a loaded supercab. Very reliable truck that in it's life only needed front brakes at 73k,two serpentine belts,two batteries,and finally at 92k the power steering pump started leaking and was replaced. Oh yea and at 65k one of the rear turn signal bulbs burned out. Usually would get 18-19 mpg's going to and from work and 21 mpg with the cruise set on 77 mph. The 3.0 liter engine coupled with the 5 speed auto is great. Last week I totaled her. So sad.

Favorite Features

Price along with features such as a great stereo/cd,cruise, power windows, locks, fuel economy, and super reliability. What more can you ask for?

Suggested Improvements

Make cab space behind the front seats easier to load objects into. Bring back the fuel efficient 3.0 liter v-6! The 4.0 drinks way too much gas for city driving.

Nice Starter Truck
By Jbushnel515

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the truck completly stock with a 3.0L V6 2 wheel drive with 56,000 miles on it. I then turned around put an American Thunder series flowmaster exhuast system on it with a K&N air filter on it. Later on I put a 3 inch lift kit keeping the same rims but putting 31 inch BFG Mud-terrians on it and the stance is really nice. Before all the add ons were put on it, I got great gas mileage on the truck but afterwards, the gas mileage stinks. But other than that, light towing and going around town isn't bad. But if you are looking for strong performance in a small truck, look elseware.

Favorite Features

The sound system in the truck. For being stock, it sounds awesome.

Suggested Improvements

The interior, offer more options for luxury like leather seats and a moonroof, and possibly a crew cab would be nice on a ranger. People are looking for good truck with decent gas mileage but are also still needing room for families.

Great work truck
By ARE

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Not the fastest, or the strongest out there but a good work truck that is a great value. Easy to work on, and maintain.

Favorite Features

Reliability. In 5.5 years and 140,000 only problem outside of regular maintenance. Window motor went out last year, replaced it for about $85

Suggested Improvements

Interior ergonomics