2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
You should look again at a Ford Ranger
By Ranger Satisfied on 08/08/10 16:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My 2002 Ford Ranger (2.3 L, I-4, Supercab) has been 100% reliable. The only repairs that I have had to perform is the normal, routine maintenance. I have never had a more reliable vehicle. I am especially happy with the gas mileage (28 mpg on average). I purchased my Ford Ranger new after driving all the competitive small trucks. My Ford Ranger is definitely a no frills truck, but I am happy with the quality of it. I would highly recommend the Ford Ranger for being a responsible purchase, and I feel I got the most for my money when I bought it. I have read all the trade magazine reports how Ford Rangers are out-of-date and obsolete, but my truck has been 100% reliable. No complaints.

Great truck
By Steve on 08/18/09 10:44 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

For the price, you can't beat this truck. I've put 145K miles on mine and haven't had a problem yet. I have the 4.0L and the power and pick up is great, I can get around traffic with ease. It makes a good sleeper if you're going against GTI's, Civics and the like. Insurance and maintenance costs are cheep. It's half the price of the Taco's. Decent ergonomics, definitely go for the bucket seats. You can use parts from the 95-01 explorers to give you an over head console with a temperature gauge, leather seats, etc. Overall, the greatest truck on the market.

My Ranger is no more
By heeler on 02/10/09 10:56 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This was my second Ranger. My first was a 1992 single cab XLT with a then 100 h.p. weak 2.3 engine with a 5 speed manual. Very good truck for what it was. Bought my 02 at the end of the model year and paid 14,000 before tax for a loaded supercab. Very reliable truck that in it's life only needed front brakes at 73k,two serpentine belts,two batteries,and finally at 92k the power steering pump started leaking and was replaced. Oh yea and at 65k one of the rear turn signal bulbs burned out. Usually would get 18-19 mpg's going to and from work and 21 mpg with the cruise set on 77 mph. The 3.0 liter engine coupled with the 5 speed auto is great. Last week I totaled her. So sad.

Nice Starter Truck
By Jbushnel515 on 10/11/08 17:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the truck completly stock with a 3.0L V6 2 wheel drive with 56,000 miles on it. I then turned around put an American Thunder series flowmaster exhuast system on it with a K&N air filter on it. Later on I put a 3 inch lift kit keeping the same rims but putting 31 inch BFG Mud-terrians on it and the stance is really nice. Before all the add ons were put on it, I got great gas mileage on the truck but afterwards, the gas mileage stinks. But other than that, light towing and going around town isn't bad. But if you are looking for strong performance in a small truck, look elseware.

Great work truck
By ARE on 05/13/08 07:38 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Not the fastest, or the strongest out there but a good work truck that is a great value. Easy to work on, and maintain.

Nice truck, Terrible Fuel Economy
By maxlessca on 12/24/07 13:56 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've been looking around for my first vehicle for the last 2 years. I really wanted a car, which could tow a 2000lb trailer. I eventually gave up the struggle and bought a Ranger. It was the 4.0L with every option except 4wd. All my friends/ family love it. I was so happy with my purchase... until I started filling it up. It has terrible fuel economy. I'm very light footed and I average 11mpg city and 18mpg highway with cruise on 60mph. (Worst fill-up so far was 9.5mpg) Also, the 6-disc CD changer went on me the first time I put a CD in it. It jammed up on me. I love the towing capabilities and the features (air, cruise, power everything, strong engine), but the fuel economy is terrible.

Good, reliable truck
By 2002 Ranger Owner on 08/13/07 20:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Ford Ranger SuperCab (4- cylinder with a manual transmission) new in 2002. It has been 100% reliable with no problems ever. I am extremely pleased with its reliability, quality of Ford workmanship, and most of all the gas mileage performance. Before I purchased my Ranger, I test drove the Chevy S-10, Nissan Frontier, and Toyota Tacoma. I decided on the Ford Ranger because of its price and the cab size seemed to me to be larger than the other trucks. It is a great truck, fun to drive, and it has been 100% reliable. Preventative maintenance is easy.

Horrible vehicle
By Ted Parks on 10/10/06 18:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned eight Ford vehicles, but this 2002 Ranger had more problems than I could list here, and they were repeatedly worked on by the dealer and seldom resolved. The Company Customer Service was non-existent, and I will never, NEVER buy another Ford vehicle

Another good Ford
By Bill Meana on 08/07/06 10:31 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Ford Ranger. I upgraded with the options each time. The current vehicle i am driving has the 4 liter engine with the towing package and it handles my 2000 lb boat very well. I will definitely buy another Ford.

2002 Ford Ranger
By 2002 Ford Ranger on 05/22/06 20:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2002 Ford Ranger since August 2002, and overall I am extremely happy with my purchase. I don't know why so many of the automobile trade magazines and even you Edmunds put down the Ford Ranger as being obsolete! I compared the Ford Ranger against the Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, and Chevrolet S-10 at the time and I choose the Ford Ranger. My Ford Ranger has been reliable 100% of the time. It is easy to do the routine preventative maintenance. The price was right. I get better gas mileage (28 mpg in town driving and 34 mpg highway driving) than what the sticker showed for estimated expected MPG. If I were to buy another truck, I would definitely buy a Ford again.