Used 2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews - 102 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Plum Wild 4.0
By RangerCrash

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this Ranger used. I unfortunately totaled the Ranger a few weeks ago. It has a 4.0 L and 5 Spd Standard, Manual 4x4, Electric W/L/M, A/C, Stereo, Map Lights, Cargo Light, Running Lights, Bed Trim, Chrome F/R Bumpers, and a lot of other gizmo's. This was the XLT FX-4, The 4.0 had extreme power, The transmission was solid, as was the 4x4. BUT, there was always something else wrong. 2 Electric Window Control Motors, 2 Heater Cores within, 3 mos. of each other, Several Dash Lights out, Front Wheel Bearings twice, Brakes, Rotors, and Both Emergency brake cables, Clutch Slave Cylinder went out (tranny pull to repair). K&N Air filter, Dual Exhaust, Paint was excellent, The engine and transmission were great. The truck had 148k miles on it, when it was totaled. The 4.0 pulled a trailer good, and hauled my Polaris Ranger, with little problem. I used the truck to drive 60 miles per day to work, and pull my 2 axle trailer, with either a riding mower, or Polaris, on board. Serviced every 3-4k miles since new. Little else to say. If you plan on buying one, be prepared for the electric problems, but up to 148k miles of very dependable 4.0 engine, and 5 spd. tranny. Sweet running pickup!

Good reliable truck for the money!
By Bill Slater

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very reliable truck I've owned 5 rangers in my lifetime when I grew up my family has owned them dad and grandfather
My recent ranger I've owned for over 3 years 2002 4x4 fx4 great truck great in the snow 4x4 works awesome I get poor fuel economy 13 city lucky if I get 17 highway but no need to complain no 4x4 midsize truck will get good fuel economy
I have 93000 miles on it besides brakes and replacing the shackle springs which my 93 ranger I had to replace common
Problem on all rangers if I ranked my truck I'd give it a solid 9 out of 10

Don't buy
By mattm93

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT Appearance 4dr SuperCab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

nothing but problems with this truck, I am a fan of Ford still but this truck has its problems and is in the shop a lot so not so reliable

4.0 v6 power. Its 4x4 will get you through basically anything!

reliability

Love it
By sixatbat

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you are looking for a fast truck, the ranger is definitely not for you. I own an xlt 2wd 3.0 v6 super cab. Surprisingly, this truck has a lot of low end torque. I've pulled a 96 my buddy's 96 Buick Regal across 2 towns 3 times. I also pulled his Dodge Durango home as well. It can also haul 40 bags of mulch, no problem. After the timing belt was replaced, fuel milage was pretty good for a v6, around 22 MPG overall. I've had to replace a water pump, alternator, ball joints, battery, and a fuel filter. But it can do anything when called upon. Drove it to Alabama from NY and back and from NY to Virginia and back. Terrible in the snow, but for the money, its a good, reliable vehicle.

Simple to use radio and climate controls. Easy entry and exit.

Best compact truck ever!
By jermz17

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT Appearance 2dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck with almost 100K miles on it, It drives good and preforms good, I have a 2WD 4 door super cab and could not ask for more, in the winter it handles the snow well and in the summer it handles the asphalt better. It tow almost 6K worth of goods and gets up to speed when you want it too, the only problems I have ever had were the oil sender sensor and a valve spring breaking, other than that its the perfect compact pickup I have ever owned!

Seating, 4 door super cab, 50/50 jump seats, power, towing and handling.

none.