2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Don't buy
By mattm93 on 10/22/12 17:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT Appearance 4dr SuperCab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

nothing but problems with this truck, I am a fan of Ford still but this truck has its problems and is in the shop a lot so not so reliable

Love it
By sixatbat on 07/12/12 11:42 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you are looking for a fast truck, the ranger is definitely not for you. I own an xlt 2wd 3.0 v6 super cab. Surprisingly, this truck has a lot of low end torque. I've pulled a 96 my buddy's 96 Buick Regal across 2 towns 3 times. I also pulled his Dodge Durango home as well. It can also haul 40 bags of mulch, no problem. After the timing belt was replaced, fuel milage was pretty good for a v6, around 22 MPG overall. I've had to replace a water pump, alternator, ball joints, battery, and a fuel filter. But it can do anything when called upon. Drove it to Alabama from NY and back and from NY to Virginia and back. Terrible in the snow, but for the money, its a good, reliable vehicle.

Best compact truck ever!
By jermz17 on 05/06/12 01:03 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT Appearance 2dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck with almost 100K miles on it, It drives good and preforms good, I have a 2WD 4 door super cab and could not ask for more, in the winter it handles the snow well and in the summer it handles the asphalt better. It tow almost 6K worth of goods and gets up to speed when you want it too, the only problems I have ever had were the oil sender sensor and a valve spring breaking, other than that its the perfect compact pickup I have ever owned!

Great For New Driver!
By Billy on 09/03/10 20:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Edge 2dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it for my sons first vehicle. It had 60,000 miles on it and I wanted a good dependable truck that would not cost a lot to drive and maintain. It gets around 19 mpg on the road. It has no rattles at all and drives like a new one. No problems at all. I wish they make more trucks like these.

4.0L FX4
By Greg on 08/11/10 05:25 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck used with 25,000 miles on it. Ford had a cruise control sensor recall that took over 7 months. I've had about 3 other sensors go out. Transfer case went out at 63,000. Driver side power lock is messing up. Right now it's just over 80,000 miles. I do not see how this truck is rated to max tow of 5600. I can notice a significant power loss just hauling a 16 ft. boat or my Polaris RZR on a 6x12 trailer.

You should look again at a Ford Ranger
By Ranger Satisfied on 08/08/10 16:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My 2002 Ford Ranger (2.3 L, I-4, Supercab) has been 100% reliable. The only repairs that I have had to perform is the normal, routine maintenance. I have never had a more reliable vehicle. I am especially happy with the gas mileage (28 mpg on average). I purchased my Ford Ranger new after driving all the competitive small trucks. My Ford Ranger is definitely a no frills truck, but I am happy with the quality of it. I would highly recommend the Ford Ranger for being a responsible purchase, and I feel I got the most for my money when I bought it. I have read all the trade magazine reports how Ford Rangers are out-of-date and obsolete, but my truck has been 100% reliable. No complaints.

Highly dissapointed with 3.0 L power
By aquaman828 on 05/04/10 18:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this truck in Feb 09 and have had it for just over a year now. I got a great deal, so i bought it. The reliability of this truck is good, i haven't had any problems with it; just routine maintenance. This suspension is now decent after putting on KYB gas shocks. The 3.0 L engine is dangerously lacking power. The fuel economy is atrocious. It is a 6 cyl engine with V8 fuel economy and 4 cyl acceleration. I know nothing is wrong with my engine, just a terribly outdated design. Maybe good in the 90's but not now. The f150 has more power and gets better gas mileage. I see 14 mpg city, 17 hwy. Everyone who say it is good should test drive another truck, and wise up. 4.0l is also weak!

The blue ghost
By raymondlatulippe@yah on 03/21/10 21:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT Appearance 2dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My name is rayray I got my ranger in 2002 love at first site xlt supercab 3.0 v6 5 speed automatic bright island blue it is only a4x2 never got stuck. I live in mass how about 6 to 8 inches of snow no problem. I put 20s chromes and a chip but it is very rough on the trany I also put bilstien shocks and fuel injection this truck is a looker i have 66,500 miles on it. Iwant to do a lot more to her. The best way is to buy one stock and do the add-ons yourself. You will glad you did great truck my girl says I spend more time with the ghost than her haha she is right. So go buy a Ford ranger you will be glad you did. Rayray!

Great truck
By Steve on 08/18/09 10:44 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

For the price, you can't beat this truck. I've put 145K miles on mine and haven't had a problem yet. I have the 4.0L and the power and pick up is great, I can get around traffic with ease. It makes a good sleeper if you're going against GTI's, Civics and the like. Insurance and maintenance costs are cheep. It's half the price of the Taco's. Decent ergonomics, definitely go for the bucket seats. You can use parts from the 95-01 explorers to give you an over head console with a temperature gauge, leather seats, etc. Overall, the greatest truck on the market.

great truck
By trodome on 03/03/09 13:50 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Edge 4dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

this is really a great truck - only had one small problem so far and to replace the fuel pump - other than that not bad does great in the snow and also great for towing - this is my second ranger my other was a 96 which was smaller and had a 4 cylinder - i wanted more power