Used 2002 Ford Ranger XL Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

One of the best vehicles we have ever owned.
By jammerx1

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased new in 2002, for about $12k. Currently has 130k miles on it. Outside of tires, brakes, a clutch ( taught a teenage girl how to drive a stick ) plugs and a heater control valve, this has been a great vehicle. The best vehicle we have ever owned. I used it to commute, then my wife used it to commute, then we gave it to our teenage daughter. My daughter has hit or been hit more than once and it keeps trucking. Drove home this past weekend with coolant steaming all over. Dad somethings wrong with my truck. A new 17 dollar HCV and out she went. Admittedly she beats the crap out of it, but it has made thru highschool and 1/2 thru college. A really great truck.

Best vehicle EVER!!
By glm75

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this truck new and barely had any problems during the 13 years i owned it. I performed regular maintinence as suggested and drove this truck to 200,000 miles until someone rearended me. During those 200k, i replaced the MASS AIRFLOW SENSORE at 120k, the coil pack at 178k, fan clutch at 180k and manual transmission broke at 185k (i should have never tried to drive from NJ to New Orleans...too far for and older truck with so many miles) and the plastic intake manifold at 190k. So besided breaks and tires, i drove it for 13 years and only had 4 repairs. not bad... All options worked as they should from new until it was totaled. I WOULD BUY ANOTHER!

Great on gas, ICE COLD air cond.

I hated the location of the cup holders, but that was corrected in new models.

As cheap as it gets
By dalbunosky

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Parents got the truck thanks to house remodeling and continued house work. Ours was an automatic. Its fit and finish is seriously rough! I understand that it is bare-bones, but does the gear indicator have to be so...off? The engine is too weak and shakes the car like a manual on 3rd gear during take-off, but decent MPGs for a truck though, around mid-20s. Brakes are sensitive and effective. Feels like I am about to fall off the seat when turning. Middle "seat" is completely useless, and I don't know if the feds count it as one. Lost a lot of things thanks to a shallow pit of a door rail/handle.

This truck looks good. Decent MPGs for a 2002 truck. Good for rough roads, possibly offroad, although never seen them used offroad. Good for light duty construction.

The engines are seriously weak. Since Ranger drivers are for home-owners and light construction crews, they usually stick to gravel, dirt (and asphalt). A unibody should be fine. (Now that the Escape has changed, the Ranger might as well change too. Can't sustain a chassis by itself) Use a deeper well door well/rail/handle. Fit and finish seriously needs improvement.

Survived a 60mph accident and walked away
By dwiglesworth

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This was my first truck. I loved to drive it and it handles well. I would buy another ford ranger again and again. I was driving and hit a patch of sand on a corner and the back end slipped out from under me and I was doing about 60mph side ways when I slammed into a steal pole. It hit just a little bit infront of the drivers door. The complete dash was broken in 2 and all the windows were shattered. This was a very very very serious crash and I was able to get out and walk away with no major injuries. I was wearing my seat belt and the air bags did not deploy. I only suffered minor cuts to the face from my head breaking the drivers window. I thank this truck from being able to save my life.

MPG's, Fun to drive, and many many more

Side airbags standard

My 1st truck, Love it!
By ERS

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

i am a big ford fan, but i wanted fuel economy and some power and reliability! This truck has towed and pushed 2 trucks already, with no problem, good power for a 4 cylinder. Just wish it was 4x4 with a 4.0 and a 5 speed

pretty good fuel mileage, plenty of power for me, and love the features!

cant think of any, that i would need.