Used 2002 Ford Ranger Edge Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Excellent Choice
By Chris

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Edge 2dr Regular Cab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the 2002 Ranger Edge to replace my 1999 Mustang because my wife and I needed the cargo space. I could not be more happy with the choice. I have spent a lot of time travelling with work and lived in Japan for 3 years, so the truck has very low mileage (just went over 25k). All I have had to do is change the oil, and purchase new battery/tires when I got back from Japan. It runs like a champion.

Favorite Features

I love how simple it is. I purchased the truck to last forever, and with no power locks or windows, there is much less that can go wrong. It's meant to be a utility vehicle, not a family car.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the 3.0 V-6 had a little more power, but overall it has enough power. I have never fully loaded it down, but I have hauled in the neighborhood of 1k and never had any problems.

basically a good truck
By red rangerman

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Edge 2dr Regular Cab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Acceleration is good but highway speed acceleration not so good, rear sliding window leaked and had to be replaced, 6 cd player isn't very good -- cd's get stuck inside and sometimes won't eject, been in shop twice for this and still does it, door ajar light comes on intermittently, is a beautiful color of red -- basically a good truck.

Favorite Features

Red color, 4 wheel drive, ability to play 6 cds when player is working right.

Suggested Improvements

Put in a better cd player, seats are thin could use more padding, could use 4.0 liter engine, also bucket seat like my '93 Ranger had.

2002 Ranger Edge 2DR
By Jeff_N

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Edge 2dr Regular Cab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Nice looking truck - one problem I have noticed, and it is wilh all 2000 Ford vehiles. The outside weatherstripping around the windows has "mildew" growing in/on it - every single Ford I see of this age has this problem. I keep my vehicles immaculate, so I consider this to be a nuisance. The truck is fun to drive, and with an overdrive transmission gets pretty good fuel mileage. Plugs are easy to change, as is oil, filter and air filter. Some "squekiness" on start up - sounds like a belt slipping, but I can't figure out where the slip is. Biggest problem - OE tires are junk - Goodyear which develop knots in them just for fun, I guess. Ride is good.

GZ
By GZ

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Edge 2dr Regular Cab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very good small truck - and a really cool look. Sooo many people tell me how much they like my truck. Looks like a 4 W drive, fun to own

Basic Ford Ranger
By Shawn1985

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Edge 2dr Regular Cab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Decent Vehicle, but have problem with vibrating in the wheels/steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Lower price, buy a nicer model for a few thousand more!