2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
One of the best vehicles we have ever owned.
By jammerx1 on 08/02/13 15:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased new in 2002, for about $12k. Currently has 130k miles on it. Outside of tires, brakes, a clutch ( taught a teenage girl how to drive a stick ) plugs and a heater control valve, this has been a great vehicle. The best vehicle we have ever owned. I used it to commute, then my wife used it to commute, then we gave it to our teenage daughter. My daughter has hit or been hit more than once and it keeps trucking. Drove home this past weekend with coolant steaming all over. Dad somethings wrong with my truck. A new 17 dollar HCV and out she went. Admittedly she beats the crap out of it, but it has made thru highschool and 1/2 thru college. A really great truck.

Best vehicle EVER!!
By glm75 on 05/12/13 06:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this truck new and barely had any problems during the 13 years i owned it. I performed regular maintinence as suggested and drove this truck to 200,000 miles until someone rearended me. During those 200k, i replaced the MASS AIRFLOW SENSORE at 120k, the coil pack at 178k, fan clutch at 180k and manual transmission broke at 185k (i should have never tried to drive from NJ to New Orleans...too far for and older truck with so many miles) and the plastic intake manifold at 190k. So besided breaks and tires, i drove it for 13 years and only had 4 repairs. not bad... All options worked as they should from new until it was totaled. I WOULD BUY ANOTHER!

As cheap as it gets
By dalbunosky on 03/02/12 00:13 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Parents got the truck thanks to house remodeling and continued house work. Ours was an automatic. Its fit and finish is seriously rough! I understand that it is bare-bones, but does the gear indicator have to be so...off? The engine is too weak and shakes the car like a manual on 3rd gear during take-off, but decent MPGs for a truck though, around mid-20s. Brakes are sensitive and effective. Feels like I am about to fall off the seat when turning. Middle "seat" is completely useless, and I don't know if the feds count it as one. Lost a lot of things thanks to a shallow pit of a door rail/handle.

Survived a 60mph accident and walked away
By dwiglesworth on 12/24/10 22:19 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This was my first truck. I loved to drive it and it handles well. I would buy another ford ranger again and again. I was driving and hit a patch of sand on a corner and the back end slipped out from under me and I was doing about 60mph side ways when I slammed into a steal pole. It hit just a little bit infront of the drivers door. The complete dash was broken in 2 and all the windows were shattered. This was a very very very serious crash and I was able to get out and walk away with no major injuries. I was wearing my seat belt and the air bags did not deploy. I only suffered minor cuts to the face from my head breaking the drivers window. I thank this truck from being able to save my life.

My 1st truck, Love it!
By ERS on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

i am a big ford fan, but i wanted fuel economy and some power and reliability! This truck has towed and pushed 2 trucks already, with no problem, good power for a 4 cylinder. Just wish it was 4x4 with a 4.0 and a 5 speed

Basic truck
By Michael Kinney on 03/16/08 08:21 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This is a basic no frills truck. Have had no real problems except for the rear window. This leaks and I have tried everything and can't seem to get it fixed. Not a race car. Small 4 cyl. does not have the poop to haul or tow much of anything. It is a basic, small utility truck. Mileage is nothing to be proud of. Factory tires stink. On wet roads the back end has lost traction and sent me into all three lanes of traffic on the freeway. I spent $400 and got better tires! No more problems. Don't drive these small trucks on snow or ice! You're asking for trouble. They are too light in the rear unless you load something heavy into it..

Horribly disappointing.
By Moose on 06/27/06 15:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my Ranger in hopes of getting a reliable truck that had decent fuel economy. What I got was a hulk of junk. I literally had problems from the second day I owned the truck. Over the 19 months I owned the truck, Ford replaced 2 thermostats, the radiator, the transmission, the radio, the gauge cluster, the back glass, and numerous third brake light seals. The truck left me stranded, without warning, 4 times - including last Thanksgiving Day. Fuel economy is not what they tell you, either. I drove 100 miles to work round trip every day doing 70 mph on the interstate, and the best gas mileage I ever got was 24 mpg - and it's a 4 cylinder! I have since bought a Toyota, and couldn't be happier.

best small pickup I've ever owned
By stoshu on 03/26/05 17:53 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought the truck new. No options except CD player and a/c. I had a few problems with the engine skipping/sputtering a bit, all under warranty, and they fixed everything! The tray under the radio rattles, but that's about my only complaint. Gets great gas mileage , I got the 4 banger, and the radio is great. Handles very well for a small pickup, I've put 60,000 miles on it and the original tires still look ok. The last new pick up i bought was a '92 Chevy S-10 Tahoe loaded with a 2.8 v-6. I drove the wheels off it for 8 years and the only thing that didn't break or rattle was the engine. I will never buy a GM product again. Ford is the way to go, I'll give this 1/2 ton to my son & buy another.

Great Buy
By Awsome Truck on 06/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I got this truck used for $7400 because of some hail damage. It had only 27,000 miles. The first day I had it it leaked oil. Off it went to the ford dealer cause it still had warranty. After that I have had no problems. I have the 2.3L I4 with the automatic. It is not fast but it handles awesome and the brakes are great. This is my first vehicle.

another ford success
By douglasH on 11/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

overall great truck. Mechanically, no problems. Twice in shop for window leak. However, ford fixed immediately at no charge. Truck has handled rugged extremes i have subjected it to. Looks wonderful with bigger off-road tires. Gas milege is excellent.