2002 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
4.0L FX4
By Greg on 08/11/10 05:25 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck used with 25,000 miles on it. Ford had a cruise control sensor recall that took over 7 months. I've had about 3 other sensors go out. Transfer case went out at 63,000. Driver side power lock is messing up. Right now it's just over 80,000 miles. I do not see how this truck is rated to max tow of 5600. I can notice a significant power loss just hauling a 16 ft. boat or my Polaris RZR on a 6x12 trailer.

Gets you where you're going
By tvrug on 06/17/07 04:06 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the second Ranger I've owned. The first was a '98 4.0 5-speed. After 175,000 miles of being reliable I bought another. The only complaint so far is that the brakes would fade when stopping quickly, especially with a load. Replaced stock brakes with EBC slotted rotors and EBC Green Stuff 7000 series pads. Stops like a sports car now. Will go through a lot when off road thanks to the limited slip rear differential. Great that the front axle is turning all the time. This eliminates the worry of tearing up a hub when on the trail.

Growing out of my truck
By M. Thoma on 08/09/06 04:56 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My family is growing so unfortunately my truck has to as well. I have said many times that if I did not HAVE to get a new truck I would keep this until it falls apart. And at the rate things are going that could be a long time. I will go through 3 feet of snow while every other full size SUV is spinning their wheels. I have taken it through ditches, over curbs, across the country twice (both times fully loaded) with no problems. It is a truck and the best I have ever driven. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a serious, no frills, no luxury vehicle that will get the job done every time. P.S. I'm 6'4" and it fits me fine.

Awesome Truck!
By Eric on 03/31/06 17:51 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck about a year ago and I love it. It has the 4.0 liter sohc V6 engine which has plenty of power and is very reliable (except the alternator goes a little wacky sometimes - the plug going to the voltage regulator goes bad sometimes). But I still wish Ford would make the 4.6 liter v8 available for the Ranger.

Watch Out For Later
By Matthew... on 12/21/05 22:17 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Ranger. I bought it, I have loved it, I have taken care of it, and had fun with it. Now I have 65,000 miles on it and problems are getting bigger and more expensive. To start at 30,000 front windows not lining up and had tracks replaced by dealer (still having same problem), next at 40,000 miles, dash light goes out. $2.00 bulb + some absurd amount to install (still not fixed), next driver's side unlock button works when it wants (who knows), now O/D Off light flashes, told transmission needs rebuilt and it wants to skip gears, $1500.00 and this appears to be a known issue. I am now looking at a Nissan and Toyota.

First New Car
By Keith on 10/26/05 22:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have really enjoyed owning this vehicle. I drive twisty, hilly roads a lot and I felt the handling in this truck was very sporty. I love precision of the rack and pinion steering. Only had one significant problem; at 60,000 miles electronic 4 wheel drive module would not switch vehicle into 4x4. Gas mileage was not so great (16.5 mpg) but my truck had 4.10 gears in rear.

Bullet Proof
By Wayne Halladay on 09/10/05 12:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Second Ranger; had a '97 with 73,000 miles on the original brakes with 25% left. '02 had an oxygen sensor go at 25,000 covered under warranty. Getting 20 mpg on the highway with cruise set @65+ back doors are still tight at 40,000 miles. Fun truck to drive. Will probably buy another in a few years.

FX4 Ford's worst truck built
By hwbw on 05/20/05 17:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Since 2002 I have put in two master cylinders for the clutch. had the engine blow at 38,000 miles and got no help from Ford at 2,000 miles past warranty. Had poor performance and reliability. Replaced clutch pressure plate and slave cylinder at 43,000 miles due to the slave cylinder welding itself to spline. Also, I have had many problems with the electrical system. You are probably thinking that I beat on this truck and the answer is not at all. I drive less than 2 miles to work and 97% of drive time is on highways on trips around 500 miles. Unless you know how to work on cars plan on a lot of money in maintenance.Think about another brand!

Great little work horse
By jleg on 09/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

No major recals or significant shop time on this little truck. The dealerships have been night and day from my chevy. I trade keys for the rental after I describe the problem and that's that. No arguments about weather it's covered or not. I get a call when it's fixed and that is that. Ford dealerships are great. I have yet to come across one in the detroit area that is bad. I have not had the same experience with Chevrolet dealers.

ok truck
By madriver on 08/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Was beginning to notice problems at 43,000 miles with front end noises. Did full brake job on front-end at 37,000(rotors and everything - $400!). Terrible fuel economy 14-15 mpg seeing that my new 4Runner gets 25-26 mpg. Decent truck and fun to drive but go with a toyota