Used 2002 Ford Ranger XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Very good bargain
By cecild

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Use it to deliver pizzas 30 hours a week for almost 2 years. Almost all miles city driving. Despite me having the 4 cylinder and 2wd I did alot of stupid things every weekend in the mud with the truck and it refused to break down. The interior may be akward for someone over about 6 feet tall. Could get better mileage for a 4 cyl. but is not bad. Surprisingly powerful for a 4 cylinder but will not blow anyone off the road by any means. I also use it to tow a small john boat once or twice a week in the summer and will load the bed to the top in ice/hot dogs for work and still performed well. Would suggest this truck to anyone who wants a small pick up for work or play. Trucks a good bargain.

Favorite Features

Performed well even with alot in the bed.One of the funnest thing to drive. Very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

None just wish i had power windows/lock 4wd and the 4.0l but i cant knock a Ford for that b/c i bought the 2wd 4cyl.

Awesome little truck
By timri

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

My Ranger has been one of, if not the most, reliable vehicles I have ever owned. In the 6 years of ownership, have done nothing but oil changes to date. Handles heavy loads easily. Tows my boat with ease. I have been a Ford fan for many years and between this and my 2002 Lincoln Continental I don't foresee needing to buy anoother new vehicle for many years to come.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage( I get 20mpg around town/28 highway), Step Side Bed looks awesome.

Very Good Truck
By Leroy

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned this truck for a year now. It has been very dependable and I have not had to have any major repairs done. My truck is a swb regular cab, 2WD, but has a V-6 with a 5-speed manual transmission. One of the best trucks I have ever owned. Good gas mileage. Very comfortable interior, but a little cramped. Fun to drive.

Favorite Features

V-6 engine. Plenty of power for me.

Suggested Improvements

Make the cab a little more roomier.

Ranger XLT 2wd 5sp 4cyl
By Roger Vaughan

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Very good, reliable, comfortable basic truck. Kind of like pick-up trucks used to be. Not a huge, oversize gas and road hog. Wife says most comfortable seat she has been in. Gas mileage is great, always high 20's to 30.

I love it I hate it.
By Ron Boyko

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I've owned this vehicle for a week now and I love it and I hate it. Ford did a great job as far as the construction of the body but they forgot about the engine. If you're looking for lots of power you won't find it in the 3.0 Liter. If you don't mind shifting a manual transmission every few seconds you won't miss the horespower. Fuel mileage hasn't been that great either.

Favorite Features

Super tight. Build quality is as good as many Euro products.

Suggested Improvements

This truck needs more horsepower. I'm constantly down shifting to keep it going. I've already started to look at aftermarket parts to increase power.