2002 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
One of the best vehicles we have ever owned.
By jammerx1 on 08/02/13 15:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased new in 2002, for about $12k. Currently has 130k miles on it. Outside of tires, brakes, a clutch ( taught a teenage girl how to drive a stick ) plugs and a heater control valve, this has been a great vehicle. The best vehicle we have ever owned. I used it to commute, then my wife used it to commute, then we gave it to our teenage daughter. My daughter has hit or been hit more than once and it keeps trucking. Drove home this past weekend with coolant steaming all over. Dad somethings wrong with my truck. A new 17 dollar HCV and out she went. Admittedly she beats the crap out of it, but it has made thru highschool and 1/2 thru college. A really great truck.

Best vehicle EVER!!
By glm75 on 05/12/13 06:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this truck new and barely had any problems during the 13 years i owned it. I performed regular maintinence as suggested and drove this truck to 200,000 miles until someone rearended me. During those 200k, i replaced the MASS AIRFLOW SENSORE at 120k, the coil pack at 178k, fan clutch at 180k and manual transmission broke at 185k (i should have never tried to drive from NJ to New Orleans...too far for and older truck with so many miles) and the plastic intake manifold at 190k. So besided breaks and tires, i drove it for 13 years and only had 4 repairs. not bad... All options worked as they should from new until it was totaled. I WOULD BUY ANOTHER!

Don't buy
By mattm93 on 10/22/12 17:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT Appearance 4dr SuperCab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

nothing but problems with this truck, I am a fan of Ford still but this truck has its problems and is in the shop a lot so not so reliable

Love it
By sixatbat on 07/12/12 11:42 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you are looking for a fast truck, the ranger is definitely not for you. I own an xlt 2wd 3.0 v6 super cab. Surprisingly, this truck has a lot of low end torque. I've pulled a 96 my buddy's 96 Buick Regal across 2 towns 3 times. I also pulled his Dodge Durango home as well. It can also haul 40 bags of mulch, no problem. After the timing belt was replaced, fuel milage was pretty good for a v6, around 22 MPG overall. I've had to replace a water pump, alternator, ball joints, battery, and a fuel filter. But it can do anything when called upon. Drove it to Alabama from NY and back and from NY to Virginia and back. Terrible in the snow, but for the money, its a good, reliable vehicle.

Best compact truck ever!
By jermz17 on 05/06/12 01:03 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT Appearance 2dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck with almost 100K miles on it, It drives good and preforms good, I have a 2WD 4 door super cab and could not ask for more, in the winter it handles the snow well and in the summer it handles the asphalt better. It tow almost 6K worth of goods and gets up to speed when you want it too, the only problems I have ever had were the oil sender sensor and a valve spring breaking, other than that its the perfect compact pickup I have ever owned!

As cheap as it gets
By dalbunosky on 03/02/12 00:13 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Parents got the truck thanks to house remodeling and continued house work. Ours was an automatic. Its fit and finish is seriously rough! I understand that it is bare-bones, but does the gear indicator have to be so...off? The engine is too weak and shakes the car like a manual on 3rd gear during take-off, but decent MPGs for a truck though, around mid-20s. Brakes are sensitive and effective. Feels like I am about to fall off the seat when turning. Middle "seat" is completely useless, and I don't know if the feds count it as one. Lost a lot of things thanks to a shallow pit of a door rail/handle.

Survived a 60mph accident and walked away
By dwiglesworth on 12/24/10 22:19 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This was my first truck. I loved to drive it and it handles well. I would buy another ford ranger again and again. I was driving and hit a patch of sand on a corner and the back end slipped out from under me and I was doing about 60mph side ways when I slammed into a steal pole. It hit just a little bit infront of the drivers door. The complete dash was broken in 2 and all the windows were shattered. This was a very very very serious crash and I was able to get out and walk away with no major injuries. I was wearing my seat belt and the air bags did not deploy. I only suffered minor cuts to the face from my head breaking the drivers window. I thank this truck from being able to save my life.

My 1st truck, Love it!
By ERS on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

i am a big ford fan, but i wanted fuel economy and some power and reliability! This truck has towed and pushed 2 trucks already, with no problem, good power for a 4 cylinder. Just wish it was 4x4 with a 4.0 and a 5 speed

Great For New Driver!
By Billy on 09/03/10 20:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger Edge 2dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it for my sons first vehicle. It had 60,000 miles on it and I wanted a good dependable truck that would not cost a lot to drive and maintain. It gets around 19 mpg on the road. It has no rattles at all and drives like a new one. No problems at all. I wish they make more trucks like these.

4.0L FX4
By Greg on 08/11/10 05:25 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck used with 25,000 miles on it. Ford had a cruise control sensor recall that took over 7 months. I've had about 3 other sensors go out. Transfer case went out at 63,000. Driver side power lock is messing up. Right now it's just over 80,000 miles. I do not see how this truck is rated to max tow of 5600. I can notice a significant power loss just hauling a 16 ft. boat or my Polaris RZR on a 6x12 trailer.