2001 Ford Ranger Consumer Review: Good choice for first truck

2001 Ford Ranger - Consumer Review

2001 Ford Ranger

XLT Regular Cab Pickup (3.0L V6 5-speed Automatic 7.0 ft. Bed)

Good choice for first truck
By fluffy500 on

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT 2WD Styleside LB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought an 01 Ranger 3.0 XLT 2wd and love it. After I bought it, I let my dad drive it to Springfield from Tulsa, and he floored it the whole way- blowing the head gasket, radiator, and water pump... so dont drive it like a race car. But after replacing the motor, cooling system, and other things, it runs like a dream.
I put a lot of performance parts in the engine when I had to replace it, chipped it and put dual straights on it with glasspacks and this improves the mileage 22city 37 highway!. The only problem is the delayed shifting in the aut trans. Looking for a new one that can handle the added torque and power. What kind of trans should I install? Im thinkin an F150 trans...

The suspension and trans are the worst things about the truck. Suspension is easily shot, and trans isnt that strong. But the overall power from the tiny v6 was impressive before I installed the new motor, chip, and performace parts. Another thing i do not like is how easy it is to lose grip on slick roads.

Keep the radiator and oil in tiptop shape! I overheated the other day and the radiator was fine, but the oil was low. So I put 4 quarts of oil in it and a gallon of coolant, and now its running just fine. Suggestion improvement is making sure there are no leaks, cooling system works right, and not driving it like you're in the 24 Heurs de LeMans race. If you decide to put a bunch of performace improving parts in the engine, do not over look the trans. The torque converter isnt all that strong, neither is the transfer motor, so when driving like a badass, its easy to drop the trans. I almost did, got 75ft of wheelspin and the O/D light started flashing. Now I got to be super careful when cold

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review