My Last Ford
By FormerRangerOwner on
2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)
I bought my 2001 Ranger with 29,000 miles and had only minor annoyances with it until 55,000, such as the "Door Ajar" light staying on when it rained and the CD player reading "error" most of the time. At 55k needed $760 transmission repair, then one sensor after another started going bad. When I sold it at 85k (highway miles)I had around $3000 invested in keeping it running, and it was leaking a quart of power steering fluid per week. I sold it to a guy who said he "likes to work on cars". He should love it... I have owned 3 F150's, a Taurus, an Escort, and a Mustang GT, and have been mostly happy with Fords but this one has driven me away for good. Going to test drive a Tacoma!
Favorite Features
Was pretty comfortable for my daily commute, and I really do like the exterior styling. Beyond that, let's see... it was easier to park than my F150; my Labrador Retriever liked to ride in the back seat; my girlfriend thought the truck was cute.
Suggested Improvements
Fix either the mileage or power (or better yet, both): 16-18 mpg is horrible for such an anemic motor (3.0 V6). Do something so check engine light doesn't come on so often. Figure out what makes so many squeaks and rattles in suspension. In short, scrap the design and start over.