Last of a breed
By Don on
2001 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)
I bought this truck used when my beloved 86 F150 finally died. I bought the Ranger as I only have a 6ft garage door on the new house and the new full size trucks just dont fit. I love this truck. No it's not flashy like the current trucks out there, but it slugs it out with em all. Fuel mileage imprived by 1-2 mpg when I installed a KN filter. The stepside bed doesnt hold much,but when I need to haul crap I borrow my brothers chevy (afterall isnt that what chevies are for?) It still looks current I dont like the grille setup on the new Rangers. I put Micheleins on it and the wet handling went up a 100%. This truck is gonna stay in the fleet for a long time. A shame Ford is dropping it.
Favorite Features
Clean Ford truck styling. Still a owner friendly to workon truck. Has aged with grace after 3 decades. Can work when needed and still be a cool out to dinner ride.
Suggested Improvements
Toolate for improvements as Ford is retiring it. Too bad they never offered the 4 door version you see in Mexico here, it mighthave saved the niceest compact truck this country ever had. When this one finally goes I dont know what will replace it.