2001 Ford Ranger Consumer Review: Average, simple truck

2001 Ford Ranger - Consumer Review

XL Regular Cab Pickup (2.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual 6.0 ft. Bed)

Average, simple truck
By jeremy m on

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I got his truck from my dad back in '05 when it already had about 50k miles. He used it to tow his boat out to the docks and he works at a paper mill, so he got a Ford Ranger. Rugged, tough- a get-the-job-done kinda truck. Well I own a Dodge Stratus now, so this truck wasn't the best for me. The "check engine" light came on around 60k (apparently the EGR valve wasn't doing its job- a minor malfunction and it lights up the "check engine" light?) and there was a national recall on the cruise control. Brakes were numb, engine sluggish, suspension was rough. Not really what I was looking for. Got me from point A to point B though. Good for people who like simple.

Favorite Features

Body was nice, engine roared at high RPMs sounded nice(lots of noise, not much speed), simple instument panel- it was good, basic truck to start out with

Suggested Improvements

Suspension too tight, brakes felt weak, cheap plastic interior, accelerator lagged when you tried to floor it to pass, and even after the 3 seconds it takes to dowshift, the weak engine didn't get you anywhere.