2001 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
A fun Ride
By ring on 08/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This truck is practical as a work vehicle and fun to drive. It has sufficient power for almost all needs.The stereo system is great as is the air conditoner. I suggest the auto trans, it is smooth. If the additonal price is no object, I would suggest the extended cab for more ease. All in all, I love my truck.

FormerMotorolanfromHarvard
By Devo on 08/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT 2WD Flareside SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Got the 4 door XLT, 2WD, 4.0 L engine. Very quick off the line, good gas mileage on highway, have gotten up to 24 mpg, city not so great, 15 mpg. Love extended cab but could use more room or true 4 doors. No major problems, routine oil/filter changes and tire rotations. Only grip is that low gas lite comes on and there are still 4+ gallons of gas in tank, dealer said it's normal.

OK - But No Brass Ring
By Johnny5 on 08/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Exterior: looks cool, but not practical. Can't haul ATV or sheet of plywood. Next time I'm going for standard bed. Interior all gray ... very bland ... no frills. Functional but not sporty. Performance: 5-speed automatic acceleration OK in 1,2,3. Forget about it in 4th, and a dog in 5th. This is worst part: AT always shifting. Ford can't figure out what gear it wants to be in. They should offer a solid 4 speed auto and be done with it. Engine: No beans on the highway even when taking it out of overdrive. (5th) And the penalty is engine buzz due to higher RPM and gas mileage tanks. Getting 17 mpg highway / city & up to 19 mpg down hill with a wind.

FORD, Fix Or Repair Daily
By theaxeman on 07/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB w/393A (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Nothing special,not worth the high price.the drivers window was repaired and now works. but the mirror hasn't worked properly since day 1. The cd player quit about a month ago. brakes "grabby" when it rains. the rear sliding window has been leaking since the first time it was opened. It's a lease and I'm really glad to be giving it back. I'll even (reluctantly) pay the 400.00 for the 1/4" dent on the bumper. this was my 3rd new ford but each one was a little worse than the one before. The dealer service is NOT terrible its just not really great.Although I'm not wealthy I CAN afford to NOT BUY ANOTHER FORD.

Ford
By dsheets on 07/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had great luck with my Ford Ranger. While it is not new. I have had 3 rangers This is the best one. I have wanted a ranger with a V6 before. My others have all had I4's. This vehicle is great. The one thing that I wish is that it would tow more than the 2200lbs that it is rated for. It seems a little low for such a powerful little truck.

bjwegde
By brian waller on 06/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Plus 2WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

my edge has been great. i have had no problems, with any thing on it. i even upgraded the sound system with more powerful speakers and installed a bazooka amplifier bass tube and sounds great.

Pleasant Surprise
By HKB on 06/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Leased vehicle new in 01, have 14K on it now. No service problems at all. Good dependable truck. Only complaint is highway driving 65-75mph can be a rough ride. Keep both hands on the steering wheel. When hitting rough pavement or taking a slight curve in the highway the truck with drift off and the back with start to fish tail. Highly recommend!

My best Ranger!!
By The Old Man on 05/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Ranger having owned a 89' XLT 4X4. More features and runs better. Fire Engine red, VERY sharp truck. I put 225,000miles on the 89' hope to do the same on the 01'. i'd buy anothe in heartbeat if I needed one.

Ranger Roaringly Rave Review
By FUZZ E. FACE on 05/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Has proven to be an extremely versatile, reliable, and enjoyable ride both on and off road, for both business and pleasure. Only downfall is the "around-town" fuel mileage. Technically competent engine, should deliver better performance around town. However, in numerous freeway trips, setting the cruise control at 65, has yielded from 20 to 23 miles-per-gallon. The window sticker rates highway travel at 19. The rear seating is a disappointment for anyone older than about ten, but I believe that those that select this vehicle have interior cargo storage in mind for that area as opposed to people carrying capability.

Poor Build Quality / Attractive Wrappper
By edge4syn on 04/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Plus 2WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Poor build quality. About to go in the shop for the fifth time. One sensor after another has gone bad. Rim had a defect and was replaced. Gas mileage is nowhere near stated mileage. Trans has already begun slipping. Good looking, nice driving truck with powerful 4.0 engine. The interior was designed for the active crowd, yet every time the seats get wet or damp they develop stains. The interior door handles are plastic and have begun peeling. I have been a ford guy my entire life, and I would say there's a good chance I'll never buy another Ford.