Used 2001 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

01 Ford Ranger - Amazing Pickup
By jeff bertino

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB w/393A (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Proud owner of 01 Ranger. Always runs great and never had ANY problems with it. Running dual exhaust on it with a great sound. Handles great on road and also great off road. This is a truck that is noticed for its great looks. I do not like the newer body styles from 2004-2006; the 2001-2003s look the best. Can't complain on this truck. Plan to keep it until the day she dies. The way it runs now I might be gone before this truck is.

Great looking exterior with all the right curves. Interior is awesome as well. All the features are good and working.

Better sounding radio -- had to upgrade. Bigger tires w/ more tread-switched to BF Goodrich rugged trail off a 2003 Toyota Tacoma TRD off road. Truck could be a little wider also.

blue tiger
By bill412

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Only problems I had were water leaking through rear window seal, and throttle body malfunctioning. This is a manual shift model, and the clutch feels kind of soft. Very dependable truck, and will haul lots more weight than I thought.

High road clearance, bed extender.

More powerful base engine would help. I live in a very hilly area, and the 3.0 is marginal going uphill.

If safety is not important
By teresa

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XL 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've taken my car in to have my seatbelts checked several times, starting in the first year - I never got any satisfaction and the seatbelts still release spontaneously while I'm driving and I've even had it come unfastened before I could even start my car. I wouldn't recommend it to drive your family in, especially if you love them. The side mirrors stink; they are difficult to adjust and don't really give adequate coverage. The blind spot is pretty large when I'm looking for cars in the mirror and checking out my window. I wouldn't buy another one and I especially would not count on Ford to follow-up on their "warranty", I guess you have to consider your new truck purchase to be "as is".

I really like having a bed-liner and split front seats.

Better seatbelt clasps that last the life of the truck with a better rewind; larger mirrors: side & rearview cup holders are too shallow.

Built Ford TOUGH
By Jgloss

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT 2WD Flareside SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great truck, especially for the teenagers like me that just want a truck to drive around in. It is everything a guy could want in a small sized truck.

Comfortable seats everything inside is nice.

Keep it the way it is.

Love my Ranger
By Spanky

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've found the Ranger to be a nice little truck. It has decent towing capacity, good road manners, and shines off-road. It definitely feels solid.

Ride height, 16 inch wheels and good sized tires, comfortable seats, 4.0L SOHC V-6 has pretty good power.

Electrically actuated rear locking differential would be really nice. Ford would also do well to add a less restrictive air intake and exhaust system on new models.