Used 2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Love my Ranger
By Spanky

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've found the Ranger to be a nice little truck. It has decent towing capacity, good road manners, and shines off-road. It definitely feels solid.

Ride height, 16 inch wheels and good sized tires, comfortable seats, 4.0L SOHC V-6 has pretty good power.

Electrically actuated rear locking differential would be really nice. Ford would also do well to add a less restrictive air intake and exhaust system on new models.

I haven't had it long
By Kevin

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

So far I really like it. It handles well, No problems, nice to drive. Gas hasn't killed me yet. Could be better I guess.

Hey it's a truck. Waiting to try the 4 wheel drive in the snow.

You would think that because it's a truck you might have room to put something, Don't think of putting it in the cab, there is like no where to put anything but drink cups (has 5 of them). Can't hold a roll of paper towels.

MY EDGE
By asnakebite

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab Edge Plus 2WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has been trouble free mechanically. The plastic bed rails were replace twice during warranty because they cracked. The second replacement set has remained good. This vehicle has stiff suspension, but it provides corning that is better than any pickup I have ever had, and I have had five. The 4 liter V6 is big power for this size truck, and gets 20 mpg with mixed freeway/city streets driving.

Nice interior, great sound system.

None.

Superb Vehicle
By Mike Hughes

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab Edge 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Absolutely stellar. This was the first vehicle I have ever purchased new and it did not disappoint. I owned it for 3 years, only needed a tensioner replaced. Runs perfect and shows no sign of stopping. People knock the Ranger for its 'outdated style' but I could not disagree more, I believe it has the look of a real pickup with the most important 'modern improvements' (i.e. engine, transmission, interior, electronics etc.). In fact I am trading mine in for a new 2005 Ranger soon.

Pretty much everything.

Suspension in the 4x2 rides real rough, engine power on the 3.0L V6. The seats stink for long drives (3+ hours).

Great Ride with problems attached
By Chad

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB w/393A (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I loved my Ranger when I bought it. It had under 65,000 miles. It was great to drive and was great off road. The rear doors would rattle a lot even though they were closed very tightly. Only problem is after a week of owning it, I had to take it into the shop already. The rear wheels constantly lock in place. A problem for most owners of the Ranger. It was in the shop at least 3 times for that issue. A few months later it was in the shop again for the transmission. Out of the blue the transmission blew a gasket so I lost third gear. Apparently another common problem.

4x4 is great off road or in the snow. I loved the 4.0L V6, and the interior is very nice for a truck.

Take a look at a new transmission, and look at the design of the rear wheel drums/brake System! Look at ways to stop rattles in rear doors.