Used 2001 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

My Truck
By socha818

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Well gets awesome gas mileage for a truck. A cover over the bed added about 3 mpg more. Disadvantage: not very good traction in snow or rain. Not a lot of weight in back of truck, even with 140lbs extra. Just had some rear brake problems. Advantages: Again the gas mileage is great. Fun truck, 5-speed manual, good response. Easy to do self fix-ups, oil and filters. Don't need a jack to change oil and oil filter. Overall good, sometimes troublesome but nothing a little loving can't take care of.

5-speed manual. Good sound system. Gas mileage.

Better brakes. Some engine shaking.

Wore Out at 26,000 Miles
By nic

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB w/393A (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 2001 Ford Ranger extended cab 4x4 was pretty nice until it reached the 26,000 mile mark. At that point things started to go bad. It would not start one day. I had it towed to a local dealer. It started for them but they hooked it up to see what the problem was and found nothing wrong, $160.00. A few weeks later when I turned on the four wheel drive, the switch was bad. $500.00. I had used it 3 or 4 times. A few weeks later, again it would not start, fuel pump, $730.00. The bed must come off to replace this. This is when I gave up, and for the first time, bought a new Chevy truck. I waited 30 years to use my Sisters GM discount.

It is a very nice looking truck. Um, did I mention it was a very nice looking truck?

Get rid of the electronic switch for the 4x4. Electronics are only good if they work. And, make fuel pump access quicker and easier.

Happy but not thrilled
By Bill S.

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT Appearance 2WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great truck for someone like myself. It is my primary vehicle, but comes in very handy for hauling things from the hardware stores. This is my first truck and I can see how folks get hooked on owning a truck. I still have to get use to the heavy jittery ride of a truck. I can't throw it into a corner like a car. Way too much understeer. Especially in the wet.

The exterior look and interior design.

Quiet the engine noise (the 3.0 is extremely loud); make a 3rd door standard equipment (almost impossible to get in behind the front seats); better gas mileage (average 17); improve the oil filter location.

expensive transmission repair
By dave king

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Ran good for the first 40,000 then $2300.00 transmission repair due to electronics. Lifters rattle under small hills. Oil pressure guage broken. I have towing package but only towed a small boat three times. Glad it wasn't more -- a lot more would be broken. I WAS a FORD nut. No more.

Interior.

Transmission and lifter rattle.

Ford Ranger High Mileage
By John

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Ranger in 20 years. All of them have been very durable and low maintenance. My last truck had 386,000 on the original engine and was driven over 100 miles a day up to the day I bought the 2001. The only issues with the new truck have been: 1) Replacing a sensor at 30,000 no charge. 2) Replacing original tires at 68,000. 3) Replacing the transmission valve body at 90,000 - $600. Front brakes $155 4) Replacing a seat belt sensor at 120,000 - $200.

Front cabin layout.

Opening rear side windows.