Used 2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Wore Out at 26,000 Miles
By nic

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB w/393A (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 2001 Ford Ranger extended cab 4x4 was pretty nice until it reached the 26,000 mile mark. At that point things started to go bad. It would not start one day. I had it towed to a local dealer. It started for them but they hooked it up to see what the problem was and found nothing wrong, $160.00. A few weeks later when I turned on the four wheel drive, the switch was bad. $500.00. I had used it 3 or 4 times. A few weeks later, again it would not start, fuel pump, $730.00. The bed must come off to replace this. This is when I gave up, and for the first time, bought a new Chevy truck. I waited 30 years to use my Sisters GM discount.

It is a very nice looking truck. Um, did I mention it was a very nice looking truck?

Get rid of the electronic switch for the 4x4. Electronics are only good if they work. And, make fuel pump access quicker and easier.

Happy but not thrilled
By Bill S.

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab XLT Appearance 2WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great truck for someone like myself. It is my primary vehicle, but comes in very handy for hauling things from the hardware stores. This is my first truck and I can see how folks get hooked on owning a truck. I still have to get use to the heavy jittery ride of a truck. I can't throw it into a corner like a car. Way too much understeer. Especially in the wet.

The exterior look and interior design.

Quiet the engine noise (the 3.0 is extremely loud); make a 3rd door standard equipment (almost impossible to get in behind the front seats); better gas mileage (average 17); improve the oil filter location.

Ford Ranger High Mileage
By John

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Ranger in 20 years. All of them have been very durable and low maintenance. My last truck had 386,000 on the original engine and was driven over 100 miles a day up to the day I bought the 2001. The only issues with the new truck have been: 1) Replacing a sensor at 30,000 no charge. 2) Replacing original tires at 68,000. 3) Replacing the transmission valve body at 90,000 - $600. Front brakes $155 4) Replacing a seat belt sensor at 120,000 - $200.

Front cabin layout.

Opening rear side windows.

01 Ford Ranger - Amazing Pickup
By jeff bertino

Proud owner of 01 Ranger. Always runs great and never had ANY problems with it. Running dual exhaust on it with a great sound. Handles great on road and also great off road. This is a truck that is noticed for its great looks. I do not like the newer body styles from 2004-2006; the 2001-2003s look the best. Can't complain on this truck. Plan to keep it until the day she dies. The way it runs now I might be gone before this truck is.

Great looking exterior with all the right curves. Interior is awesome as well. All the features are good and working.

Better sounding radio -- had to upgrade. Bigger tires w/ more tread-switched to BF Goodrich rugged trail off a 2003 Toyota Tacoma TRD off road. Truck could be a little wider also.

If safety is not important
By teresa

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab XL 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've taken my car in to have my seatbelts checked several times, starting in the first year - I never got any satisfaction and the seatbelts still release spontaneously while I'm driving and I've even had it come unfastened before I could even start my car. I wouldn't recommend it to drive your family in, especially if you love them. The side mirrors stink; they are difficult to adjust and don't really give adequate coverage. The blind spot is pretty large when I'm looking for cars in the mirror and checking out my window. I wouldn't buy another one and I especially would not count on Ford to follow-up on their "warranty", I guess you have to consider your new truck purchase to be "as is".

I really like having a bed-liner and split front seats.

Better seatbelt clasps that last the life of the truck with a better rewind; larger mirrors: side & rearview cup holders are too shallow.