Used 2001 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

My Ford
By VBCWXSPOTTER

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This truck in my view handles very well. The five speed manual is very good on gas mileage. Seating is very comfortable for a long legged fellow like me. Towing is a bit sluggish on larger hills though.

Five speed manual overdrive. Air conditioning. Cruise control. Two wheel drive.

No changes - it is a good comfortable to drive truck.

No problems after 5 years
By Dave

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this truck now for five years with zero problems. The V-6 is fabulous for a 2001. The only other V-6 that equals this is the Tacoma's, but was a lot more to purchase. I really have loved the truck, and other than a few recalls when I first bought it, I've never have taken it in for any reason. I wish gas mileage was better, but it's just as good as any other truck engine that size.

Six disk CD player, looks, reliability

Gas mileage of course. Use Michelin tires instead of the Goodyear Wranglers. They are surprisingly much quieter and smoother.

2001 Ford Ranger 4.0L 4x4 Extended Cab
By Scott D

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am very impressed with the Ranger. It drives very well and handles well also. Seems to be very reliable with little upkeep. Only improvements would be better fuel economy and the stepside bed does not allow much room to haul things. Overall, very happy and would definitely suggest someone looking at Ranger's to get one. Very affordable.

2001 Ranger Edge 2DR SB
By Todd

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have the 3.0L V6. I get decent gas mileage, averaging between 19 and 20 MPG. It truly is a pretty truck when it is driven through town, and gets a lot of attention. Ride height and ground clearance is great, but ride is extremely rough. Great 5-speed manual transmission, and the only problems I have had after 84,000 miles was an emissions problem (EGR flow problems). Other than that, this has been a great truck to drive, and very enjoyable.

The powerdome hood, a lot of room for larger tires, great body style,

Ride Quality could definitely be improved, because it is real stiff and bouncy. A little more power than the 3.0 that I have.

Gas Mileage
By Adam

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XL 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is overall a pretty good truck, a little underpowered with the 3.0L but still pretty dependable. The only shortfall is the gas mileage. Stop and go eats gas, and if going 70 on the interstate it gets about 16.5 mpg. A little more room in the cab would help, backseat for kids only. Ride is a little stiff, but put a load on it and it rides great, of course. Just a smaller version of the F-150 with a 3.0L.

Comfortable seat. I'm 5' 9" and it's about perfect except when wearing heavy clothing, the steering wheel gets in the way.

A little more power out of the 3.0 or else make the 4.0 liter standard. Needs a softer ride. Corners nicely and easy to park in the city.