Used 2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

My Last Ford
By FormerRangerOwner

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 Ranger with 29,000 miles and had only minor annoyances with it until 55,000, such as the "Door Ajar" light staying on when it rained and the CD player reading "error" most of the time. At 55k needed $760 transmission repair, then one sensor after another started going bad. When I sold it at 85k (highway miles)I had around $3000 invested in keeping it running, and it was leaking a quart of power steering fluid per week. I sold it to a guy who said he "likes to work on cars". He should love it... I have owned 3 F150's, a Taurus, an Escort, and a Mustang GT, and have been mostly happy with Fords but this one has driven me away for good. Going to test drive a Tacoma!

Favorite Features

Was pretty comfortable for my daily commute, and I really do like the exterior styling. Beyond that, let's see... it was easier to park than my F150; my Labrador Retriever liked to ride in the back seat; my girlfriend thought the truck was cute.

Suggested Improvements

Fix either the mileage or power (or better yet, both): 16-18 mpg is horrible for such an anemic motor (3.0 V6). Do something so check engine light doesn't come on so often. Figure out what makes so many squeaks and rattles in suspension. In short, scrap the design and start over.

No problems after 5 years
By Dave

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this truck now for five years with zero problems. The V-6 is fabulous for a 2001. The only other V-6 that equals this is the Tacoma's, but was a lot more to purchase. I really have loved the truck, and other than a few recalls when I first bought it, I've never have taken it in for any reason. I wish gas mileage was better, but it's just as good as any other truck engine that size.

Favorite Features

Six disk CD player, looks, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage of course. Use Michelin tires instead of the Goodyear Wranglers. They are surprisingly much quieter and smoother.

2001 Ford Ranger 4.0L 4x4 Extended Cab
By Scott D

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am very impressed with the Ranger. It drives very well and handles well also. Seems to be very reliable with little upkeep. Only improvements would be better fuel economy and the stepside bed does not allow much room to haul things. Overall, very happy and would definitely suggest someone looking at Ranger's to get one. Very affordable.

Gas Mileage
By Adam

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab XL 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is overall a pretty good truck, a little underpowered with the 3.0L but still pretty dependable. The only shortfall is the gas mileage. Stop and go eats gas, and if going 70 on the interstate it gets about 16.5 mpg. A little more room in the cab would help, backseat for kids only. Ride is a little stiff, but put a load on it and it rides great, of course. Just a smaller version of the F-150 with a 3.0L.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seat. I'm 5' 9" and it's about perfect except when wearing heavy clothing, the steering wheel gets in the way.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power out of the 3.0 or else make the 4.0 liter standard. Needs a softer ride. Corners nicely and easy to park in the city.

Never again!
By tetread_99

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Edge 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Owned this Ranger a little over 2 yrs. 76 K miles when purchased. Terrible build quality and reliability. Currently 100K miles and the transmission is shifting hard and O/D Off light is flashing. Power locks work intermittently, were fixed 1 year ago and started happening again. Wipers only complete half cycle and stop in middle of window. They were fixed a year ago and problem is happening again. Ford should be liable for putting out this kind of product. I will never buy another Ford again. Vehicle is expensive to own, 3.0 litre engine is terrible on gas (16 mpg) and extremely sluggish.

Favorite Features

Nothing.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign and improve quality and reliability.