Used 2001 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Gas Guzzling Monster!
By ablosrosarito

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very great truck. You'd think by 2001 the 3.0 would be DOHC not an inneficient OHV but oh well. Goes through a gas tank very easily which is not good. The 4x4 system is very good, it has gotten me through sand and mud with no problems. Engine electronics are sealed well, I can wash engine without triggering CEL. Cabin is very quiet and comfy. Maintenance costs are very low and there are still no leaks after 150,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Shift on the fly 4 wheel drive. Takes me everywhere. Stock Off-Road Lift clears many things. Stereo sounds good for a stock unit. Center cup holders are really useful.

Suggested Improvements

The engine is horrible! There is no real technology in the engine. A foreign Ford Turbo diesel engine would be nice or some kind of DOHC with variable timing.

Gas economy
By gokee

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Driving the Ranger is very comforable. The only thing I hate about it is the fuel economy compared to the one I had before. I had a 1995 Ranger before with a 4 cylinder motor and a 5 speed manual transmission. After I got it I wish I would not have traded. I tried to sell it quick and buy my 95 back but I did not have any luck that quick. The 95 always averaged 26 miles to gallon while this thing is only doing 19 to 20 miles. After I got it I had new spark plugs put in which he said 2 were bad which i seen because my mechanic brings them back to show. The fuel filter he could not even blow through it. I tried it to when he brought it back.

Favorite Features

I like the air condioning which I used very little as it takes fuel. The automatic windows, automatic transmission, the extended cab. It has more umph when I pulled the boat. So if I take longer trips I use the car which gets 30 miles knock around driving..

Suggested Improvements

I would like to improve my gas mileage but I guess I done what could to improve it

As Good as it Gets
By NewYawker

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Ranger and opted for an extended cab on this stepside Ranger bought new 6 years ago w/4.0 V6, 5 spd auto & off the road suspension. At 65K miles had first major repairs to brakes and front ball joints. Added step bars, spray on bed liner and a Fold-a-cover box lid. This go anywhere truck has been nothing but great, hauling loads with ease even with the leaf springs flat out. Rides well but always reminds you that it's a real truck and not some cross-over thing.

Favorite Features

Compared to any compact truck and some larger ones, nothing beats the Ranger 4 x 4 off-road package with oversize white outlined tires, aluminum wheels, dimpled power hood and stepside body in metallic deep red! and 4WD shift on the fly!

Suggested Improvements

Seats are too short under the thigh, poor cup holder design, more comfortable arm rest, better seat material, opening rear windows

Be careful with this truck
By sellinmyranger

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this truck used with 60K miles on it. Loved the power of the 4.0 engine. Brakes always had a wooden feeling (replaced 3 times in 25k miles) This truck moved me across country, twice. After towing a few times, tranny slipped horribly. Very reliable, trusty, tough little truck.

Favorite Features

4.0 engine, reliability, it really is "Ford tough".

Suggested Improvements

Brakes never were right after replacing twice, transmission failed after towing a few times.

My Last Ford
By FormerRangerOwner

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 Ranger with 29,000 miles and had only minor annoyances with it until 55,000, such as the "Door Ajar" light staying on when it rained and the CD player reading "error" most of the time. At 55k needed $760 transmission repair, then one sensor after another started going bad. When I sold it at 85k (highway miles)I had around $3000 invested in keeping it running, and it was leaking a quart of power steering fluid per week. I sold it to a guy who said he "likes to work on cars". He should love it... I have owned 3 F150's, a Taurus, an Escort, and a Mustang GT, and have been mostly happy with Fords but this one has driven me away for good. Going to test drive a Tacoma!

Favorite Features

Was pretty comfortable for my daily commute, and I really do like the exterior styling. Beyond that, let's see... it was easier to park than my F150; my Labrador Retriever liked to ride in the back seat; my girlfriend thought the truck was cute.

Suggested Improvements

Fix either the mileage or power (or better yet, both): 16-18 mpg is horrible for such an anemic motor (3.0 V6). Do something so check engine light doesn't come on so often. Figure out what makes so many squeaks and rattles in suspension. In short, scrap the design and start over.