2001 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
01 Ford Ranger - Amazing Pickup
By jeff bertino on 01/03/06 17:33 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB w/393A (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Proud owner of 01 Ranger. Always runs great and never had ANY problems with it. Running dual exhaust on it with a great sound. Handles great on road and also great off road. This is a truck that is noticed for its great looks. I do not like the newer body styles from 2004-2006; the 2001-2003s look the best. Can't complain on this truck. Plan to keep it until the day she dies. The way it runs now I might be gone before this truck is.

blue tiger
By bill412 on 12/08/05 22:37 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Only problems I had were water leaking through rear window seal, and throttle body malfunctioning. This is a manual shift model, and the clutch feels kind of soft. Very dependable truck, and will haul lots more weight than I thought.

If safety is not important
By teresa on 12/05/05 11:42 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XL 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've taken my car in to have my seatbelts checked several times, starting in the first year - I never got any satisfaction and the seatbelts still release spontaneously while I'm driving and I've even had it come unfastened before I could even start my car. I wouldn't recommend it to drive your family in, especially if you love them. The side mirrors stink; they are difficult to adjust and don't really give adequate coverage. The blind spot is pretty large when I'm looking for cars in the mirror and checking out my window. I wouldn't buy another one and I especially would not count on Ford to follow-up on their "warranty", I guess you have to consider your new truck purchase to be "as is".

Built Ford TOUGH
By Jgloss on 11/15/05 16:56 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT 2WD Flareside SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great truck, especially for the teenagers like me that just want a truck to drive around in. It is everything a guy could want in a small sized truck.

Love my Ranger
By Spanky on 09/11/05 00:45 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've found the Ranger to be a nice little truck. It has decent towing capacity, good road manners, and shines off-road. It definitely feels solid.

I haven't had it long
By Kevin on 08/27/05 00:14 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

So far I really like it. It handles well, No problems, nice to drive. Gas hasn't killed me yet. Could be better I guess.

MY EDGE
By asnakebite on 07/19/05 00:01 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Plus 2WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has been trouble free mechanically. The plastic bed rails were replace twice during warranty because they cracked. The second replacement set has remained good. This vehicle has stiff suspension, but it provides corning that is better than any pickup I have ever had, and I have had five. The 4 liter V6 is big power for this size truck, and gets 20 mpg with mixed freeway/city streets driving.

Superb Vehicle
By Mike Hughes on 06/10/05 00:32 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Absolutely stellar. This was the first vehicle I have ever purchased new and it did not disappoint. I owned it for 3 years, only needed a tensioner replaced. Runs perfect and shows no sign of stopping. People knock the Ranger for its 'outdated style' but I could not disagree more, I believe it has the look of a real pickup with the most important 'modern improvements' (i.e. engine, transmission, interior, electronics etc.). In fact I am trading mine in for a new 2005 Ranger soon.

Great Ride with problems attached
By Chad on 04/20/05 17:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB w/393A (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I loved my Ranger when I bought it. It had under 65,000 miles. It was great to drive and was great off road. The rear doors would rattle a lot even though they were closed very tightly. Only problem is after a week of owning it, I had to take it into the shop already. The rear wheels constantly lock in place. A problem for most owners of the Ranger. It was in the shop at least 3 times for that issue. A few months later it was in the shop again for the transmission. Out of the blue the transmission blew a gasket so I lost third gear. Apparently another common problem.

my review
By kim on 01/01/05 14:38 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT Appearance 2WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great little truck, never had any major problems with it, good gas mileage.