Used 2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Ford Ranger Pickup 2001
By Xavier

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab Edge 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Ranger new in July 01 and have enjoyed putting 125k on it. some of the repairs I incured were a broken valve stem, transmition work 2X, broken drive shaft parts 2X, front ball goint, 2 batterys. As of now I have replaced the lights in the dash and repainted the grille to its original dark black color. I don't know what to do with my seet, Over time the arm rest broke and the fabric is cracking and terring, dispite the problems the engine runs very smooth and the AC is bitter cold on hot Texas summer days. I am so happy with the styling, I never get tyerd of looking at it. The paint is shiny amd their are no cracks in the rubber or plastic.

Style and AC

Use better quality fabric and tuffen up the arm rest.

Last of a breed
By Don

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck used when my beloved 86 F150 finally died. I bought the Ranger as I only have a 6ft garage door on the new house and the new full size trucks just dont fit. I love this truck. No it's not flashy like the current trucks out there, but it slugs it out with em all. Fuel mileage imprived by 1-2 mpg when I installed a KN filter. The stepside bed doesnt hold much,but when I need to haul crap I borrow my brothers chevy (afterall isnt that what chevies are for?) It still looks current I dont like the grille setup on the new Rangers. I put Micheleins on it and the wet handling went up a 100%. This truck is gonna stay in the fleet for a long time. A shame Ford is dropping it.

Clean Ford truck styling. Still a owner friendly to workon truck. Has aged with grace after 3 decades. Can work when needed and still be a cool out to dinner ride.

Toolate for improvements as Ford is retiring it. Too bad they never offered the 4 door version you see in Mexico here, it mighthave saved the niceest compact truck this country ever had. When this one finally goes I dont know what will replace it.

Gas Guzzling Monster!
By ablosrosarito

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very great truck. You'd think by 2001 the 3.0 would be DOHC not an inneficient OHV but oh well. Goes through a gas tank very easily which is not good. The 4x4 system is very good, it has gotten me through sand and mud with no problems. Engine electronics are sealed well, I can wash engine without triggering CEL. Cabin is very quiet and comfy. Maintenance costs are very low and there are still no leaks after 150,000 miles.

Shift on the fly 4 wheel drive. Takes me everywhere. Stock Off-Road Lift clears many things. Stereo sounds good for a stock unit. Center cup holders are really useful.

The engine is horrible! There is no real technology in the engine. A foreign Ford Turbo diesel engine would be nice or some kind of DOHC with variable timing.

Gas economy
By gokee

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Driving the Ranger is very comforable. The only thing I hate about it is the fuel economy compared to the one I had before. I had a 1995 Ranger before with a 4 cylinder motor and a 5 speed manual transmission. After I got it I wish I would not have traded. I tried to sell it quick and buy my 95 back but I did not have any luck that quick. The 95 always averaged 26 miles to gallon while this thing is only doing 19 to 20 miles. After I got it I had new spark plugs put in which he said 2 were bad which i seen because my mechanic brings them back to show. The fuel filter he could not even blow through it. I tried it to when he brought it back.

I like the air condioning which I used very little as it takes fuel. The automatic windows, automatic transmission, the extended cab. It has more umph when I pulled the boat. So if I take longer trips I use the car which gets 30 miles knock around driving..

I would like to improve my gas mileage but I guess I done what could to improve it

As Good as it Gets
By NewYawker

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Ranger and opted for an extended cab on this stepside Ranger bought new 6 years ago w/4.0 V6, 5 spd auto & off the road suspension. At 65K miles had first major repairs to brakes and front ball joints. Added step bars, spray on bed liner and a Fold-a-cover box lid. This go anywhere truck has been nothing but great, hauling loads with ease even with the leaf springs flat out. Rides well but always reminds you that it's a real truck and not some cross-over thing.

Compared to any compact truck and some larger ones, nothing beats the Ranger 4 x 4 off-road package with oversize white outlined tires, aluminum wheels, dimpled power hood and stepside body in metallic deep red! and 4WD shift on the fly!

Seats are too short under the thigh, poor cup holder design, more comfortable arm rest, better seat material, opening rear windows