2001 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Never again!
By tetread_99 on 11/01/06 09:27 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Owned this Ranger a little over 2 yrs. 76 K miles when purchased. Terrible build quality and reliability. Currently 100K miles and the transmission is shifting hard and O/D Off light is flashing. Power locks work intermittently, were fixed 1 year ago and started happening again. Wipers only complete half cycle and stop in middle of window. They were fixed a year ago and problem is happening again. Ford should be liable for putting out this kind of product. I will never buy another Ford again. Vehicle is expensive to own, 3.0 litre engine is terrible on gas (16 mpg) and extremely sluggish.

01 XLT 4x4 4 door stepside
By RayO on 09/21/06 06:10 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my fourth Ranger, and all of them have been good reliable small trucks, but the quality has noticeably improved each time. This one is solid, and quiet, enough power with the 4.0 V6, and serves me well for what I want. It is no speed demon but great at what it was meant to do.

Built Ford Tough
By Greg on 08/29/06 07:30 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned my 2001 Ranger for almost a year now with zero problems. I'm up to the 60,000 miles mark, and the truck drives like brand new. At times, the 4.0L V6 can be sluggish, but it suits the truck very well. My only major complaint is the horrible fuel economy for a truck this size.

Squeaky high MPG
By Lock on 08/28/06 12:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My heart sank as gas prices rose and my 01 Ranger XLT 4.0L got only 16-17 mpg. My 1998 Ranger XLT has stayed at or just below 20 mpg. I had to get a 4X4 but the 01 would squeak loudly wherever I drove regardless of weather.

Red Power Ranger
By Fred on 05/30/06 13:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My Red Power Ranger Edge is a trip! I added a carpet bedliner, camper shell, and step bars. Although it could use a bit more power, it never lags on the I95 raceway. Best addition, engine wise, was a K&N air filter (which I also use on my 95 Ranger and motorcycle). I have no major problems and would buy another Ranger.

My Truck
By socha818 on 05/11/06 08:03 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Well gets awesome gas mileage for a truck. A cover over the bed added about 3 mpg more. Disadvantage: not very good traction in snow or rain. Not a lot of weight in back of truck, even with 140lbs extra. Just had some rear brake problems. Advantages: Again the gas mileage is great. Fun truck, 5-speed manual, good response. Easy to do self fix-ups, oil and filters. Don't need a jack to change oil and oil filter. Overall good, sometimes troublesome but nothing a little loving can't take care of.

Wore Out at 26,000 Miles
By nic on 04/12/06 18:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB w/393A (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 2001 Ford Ranger extended cab 4x4 was pretty nice until it reached the 26,000 mile mark. At that point things started to go bad. It would not start one day. I had it towed to a local dealer. It started for them but they hooked it up to see what the problem was and found nothing wrong, $160.00. A few weeks later when I turned on the four wheel drive, the switch was bad. $500.00. I had used it 3 or 4 times. A few weeks later, again it would not start, fuel pump, $730.00. The bed must come off to replace this. This is when I gave up, and for the first time, bought a new Chevy truck. I waited 30 years to use my Sisters GM discount.

Happy but not thrilled
By Bill S. on 02/17/06 10:11 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT Appearance 2WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great truck for someone like myself. It is my primary vehicle, but comes in very handy for hauling things from the hardware stores. This is my first truck and I can see how folks get hooked on owning a truck. I still have to get use to the heavy jittery ride of a truck. I can't throw it into a corner like a car. Way too much understeer. Especially in the wet.

expensive transmission repair
By dave king on 02/09/06 18:29 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Ran good for the first 40,000 then $2300.00 transmission repair due to electronics. Lifters rattle under small hills. Oil pressure guage broken. I have towing package but only towed a small boat three times. Glad it wasn't more -- a lot more would be broken. I WAS a FORD nut. No more.

Ford Ranger High Mileage
By John on 01/30/06 09:07 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Ranger in 20 years. All of them have been very durable and low maintenance. My last truck had 386,000 on the original engine and was driven over 100 miles a day up to the day I bought the 2001. The only issues with the new truck have been: 1) Replacing a sensor at 30,000 no charge. 2) Replacing original tires at 68,000. 3) Replacing the transmission valve body at 90,000 - $600. Front brakes $155 4) Replacing a seat belt sensor at 120,000 - $200.