2001 Ranger XLT 2WD Short Bed Standard C
By mugrb on
2001 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)
Bought this truck used. It has been a good runner - so far. Awesome on gas mileage. During this winter I've been getting easily 24 mpg with 400 lbs of sand over the rear axle. Summer I've been getting very close to 30 mpg, 28 to 29 is common for me. Tricky in the winter months being rear wheel drive. The rear end always goes to the right sending me heading into oncoming traffic driving up an icy slope. The 3.0 liter Vulcan V-6 is starting to get a bit noisy with being almost 110k miles. It rides quiet for a small pickup. Cruise control button on the left side is loose. The EGR system could be upgraded too a more reliable system.
Favorite Features
5-speed manual overdrive versus the auto. Seats are exceptionally comfortable. Instrumentation.
Suggested Improvements
Doesn't matter, Ford is dropping the Ranger. But a limited slip differential as standard equipment on all pickups. Better EGR system that replaces the DPFE sensor. Considerable larger fuel tank. Mine completely empty is only 13.2 gallons. A real working oil press gauge.