Used 2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

THANK GOD!...Well...Ford!
By Dan

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB w/393A (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I don't get it. There was no selection for 4 door Supercab 2WD 3.0?? Another comment said the U.S. should have made one?? UH, I just traded mine for a 5.4L F-150. It was a 3.0 4 door supercab...oh well, VERY TOUGH truck!!!!! MY GOD! Had 2 Rangers, each I had for at least 5 years, and NOT ONE THING EVER broke down!!! No! I'm not kidding. Over exceeded weight capacities, pulled tree's out of ground, pulled, hauled. Sluggish on the line, but passed like a monster! Just bad on gas and not comfortable...who cares, it never let me down. And like I said, that's 2 Rangers, never any problems!

Looks, reliability, hauling ability.

Make a V-8 crew cab!!!! ya!

Not Flashy But Gets The Job Done
By joncman

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this car since new and it's not the flashiest beast out there, but man it does what it needs to do. I've had lots of cars in my lifetime with lots of fancy features so I decided to buy a truck for once in my life. Got the Ranger because I didn't need a super powerful truck. I have not regretted it once. This thing goes and goes and goes. The only mechanical that has ever gone wrong with it was the wiper motor conked out on me. I drove a 2008 F-150 the other day and it had about every bell and whistle you could get on it, but, $42,000....YIKES....I'll stick with the little'ol'Ranger thank you very much.

4 wheel drive! Nice looks and build quality.

Gas mileage, but still not to bad for a Truck with 4.0 in it. I've gotten around 19 overall throughout it's lifetime.

Bought used at 35k miles, cant tell tho
By Michael Lubawski

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this truck used from a dealer. Have had nothing but good luck other than normal wear and tear. The 6-disc player and speakers finally went south (I wonder why?) after 97k miles. Transmission seems to skip a beat at stop signs when brake is pressed hard. Stiff ride, 4x4 typical, fun, looks good with chrome wheels (color is black). Plenty of power and punch. Never been the shop for major repairs.

The whole truck. For me it's a nice size, handles good, looks good and gets a lot of attention.

Sturdier armrest box and cup holders closer to the seat.

2001 Ford Ranger 4x4 SuperCab
By 2001 Ranger

Purchased vehicle new, had virtually no problems until 115K miles. In last 8 months, I have had to replace the fuel pump, cost $700 w/Labor, and both front wheel bearings about 3 months apart, cost $450 each w/labor. Had to buy a complete assembly just to replace the wheel bearings. So much for Ford's "better ideas". Gas mileage is crappy, averages 15-17 mpg in daily commutes. Although it has gotten 21 mpg on trips, with a bed cover in place. A 4.0 litre engine in a mid-sized truck should get better mileage. A neighbor had a 1980 full- sized model F-100, with a 4th gear o/d manual tranny that got 29 mpg on the highway. Now the transmission at nearly 119K is giving signs of needing a rebuild.

Red exterior color, ergonomics of interior is good. Styling ages gracefully.

Gas mileage, gas mileage, gas mileage. Auto transmission should not need a rebuild at 119K miles, since nothing I towed weighed over 1500 pounds, including the trailer. Have been to 3 different transmission places. All admit transmission does not act right, yet no dummy codes show up on diagnostics

164000 miles and still kickin
By Ncbmxpro

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab Edge Plus 2WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my truck new in 2001. I have 164,000 miles on it and it still runs like a champ. Besides oil changes, tires, fuel and air filters, and some light bulbs I have only needed to replace the spark plugs and wires, and distribution cap. Not too bad for an 8 year old truck. And I havent babied this thing either. I have had body damage repaired three times and replaced a rim after hitting a curb at 50mph when the truck was only 2 years old.

The interior is breaking down on me. Couple cracks and tears in the seats but that is expected I suppose.