2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Great used truck
By Captain on 09/12/08 13:22 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It's a great truck. I paid less than 6500 for it and am very satisfied. Only problem to date is a airbag warning light. Right doors rattled a bit but tightening them resolved. Great styling, great looks. I would recommend it to anyone.

Great Truck
By mgf on 06/26/08 07:07 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this truck new in 2001 - over 108000 miles later - I have treated the truck well - and it treated me well in return. This is a solid well built vehicle that I would recommend to anyone. I am impressed and a believer in the American car. If you think American car quality is sub-par - drive the 2001 Ford Ranger

Average, simple truck
By jeremy m on 06/12/08 09:13 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I got his truck from my dad back in '05 when it already had about 50k miles. He used it to tow his boat out to the docks and he works at a paper mill, so he got a Ford Ranger. Rugged, tough- a get-the-job-done kinda truck. Well I own a Dodge Stratus now, so this truck wasn't the best for me. The "check engine" light came on around 60k (apparently the EGR valve wasn't doing its job- a minor malfunction and it lights up the "check engine" light?) and there was a national recall on the cruise control. Brakes were numb, engine sluggish, suspension was rough. Not really what I was looking for. Got me from point A to point B though. Good for people who like simple.

01 Ranger
By Juszkiewicz on 06/08/08 08:01 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB w/393A (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased used as a daily driver for a migrant hi-tech worker. Reliable as rain in Seattle winter. Pushing 78-80K by end of 2008. No unscheduled repairs, 17.3 mpg overall in mixed driving in Chiago area including many winter days in 4x4 High Mode. Highway mileage > 21 MPG. Comfortable cab, roomy for 2 with extened cab for vacation drives. Definitely purchase another. Recommend to others. Not a sophisticated vehicle by any means but reliabale and robust.

Ford Ranger Pickup 2001
By Xavier on 05/23/08 18:02 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab Edge 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Ranger new in July 01 and have enjoyed putting 125k on it. some of the repairs I incured were a broken valve stem, transmition work 2X, broken drive shaft parts 2X, front ball goint, 2 batterys. As of now I have replaced the lights in the dash and repainted the grille to its original dark black color. I don't know what to do with my seet, Over time the arm rest broke and the fabric is cracking and terring, dispite the problems the engine runs very smooth and the AC is bitter cold on hot Texas summer days. I am so happy with the styling, I never get tyerd of looking at it. The paint is shiny amd their are no cracks in the rubber or plastic.

Last of a breed
By Don on 04/11/08 19:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck used when my beloved 86 F150 finally died. I bought the Ranger as I only have a 6ft garage door on the new house and the new full size trucks just dont fit. I love this truck. No it's not flashy like the current trucks out there, but it slugs it out with em all. Fuel mileage imprived by 1-2 mpg when I installed a KN filter. The stepside bed doesnt hold much,but when I need to haul crap I borrow my brothers chevy (afterall isnt that what chevies are for?) It still looks current I dont like the grille setup on the new Rangers. I put Micheleins on it and the wet handling went up a 100%. This truck is gonna stay in the fleet for a long time. A shame Ford is dropping it.

Gas Guzzling Monster!
By ablosrosarito on 10/23/07 18:40 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very great truck. You'd think by 2001 the 3.0 would be DOHC not an inneficient OHV but oh well. Goes through a gas tank very easily which is not good. The 4x4 system is very good, it has gotten me through sand and mud with no problems. Engine electronics are sealed well, I can wash engine without triggering CEL. Cabin is very quiet and comfy. Maintenance costs are very low and there are still no leaks after 150,000 miles.

Gas economy
By gokee on 09/08/07 20:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Driving the Ranger is very comforable. The only thing I hate about it is the fuel economy compared to the one I had before. I had a 1995 Ranger before with a 4 cylinder motor and a 5 speed manual transmission. After I got it I wish I would not have traded. I tried to sell it quick and buy my 95 back but I did not have any luck that quick. The 95 always averaged 26 miles to gallon while this thing is only doing 19 to 20 miles. After I got it I had new spark plugs put in which he said 2 were bad which i seen because my mechanic brings them back to show. The fuel filter he could not even blow through it. I tried it to when he brought it back.

As Good as it Gets
By NewYawker on 08/20/07 11:33 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Ranger and opted for an extended cab on this stepside Ranger bought new 6 years ago w/4.0 V6, 5 spd auto & off the road suspension. At 65K miles had first major repairs to brakes and front ball joints. Added step bars, spray on bed liner and a Fold-a-cover box lid. This go anywhere truck has been nothing but great, hauling loads with ease even with the leaf springs flat out. Rides well but always reminds you that it's a real truck and not some cross-over thing.

Be careful with this truck
By sellinmyranger on 08/19/07 18:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this truck used with 60K miles on it. Loved the power of the 4.0 engine. Brakes always had a wooden feeling (replaced 3 times in 25k miles) This truck moved me across country, twice. After towing a few times, tranny slipped horribly. Very reliable, trusty, tough little truck.