2001 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
2001 4dr 4WD SOHC
By jls on 04/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB w/393A (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

So far 26,000 miles, and no mechanical problems except for a emission sensor which was covered under warrenty. Problems: should have a bigger gas tank. M/G could always be better (18 to 19 typically). Plenty of power for hualing my heavy boat.

Ranger Edge a Plus to Drive
By geneokamoto on 04/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

the Ranger Edge is a nice truck to drive around in. From color choice, to ride...it has it all.

Nice Ride
By pieperwm on 04/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

We drove thru severe heat of Death Valley in 120 degrees on vacation and didn't break a sweat. Highway miles were very easy. I'm a Volvo owner, my only concern is that this lacks my usual side airbags. Saftey rating was good considering the class of vehicle. Gas milage over 10,000 miles is exactly as EPA predicted. Highway I get 18.5 to 19.5 mpg. I have the 4.0L, extended Cab 4x 4, with a shell. I had to replact the Firestone Tires (Michelin) and that was time consuming. I have had no problems mechanically.

Mostly Happy
By redswd on 04/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Haven't had it long but I've enjoyed my experience so far. Fun to drive, comfortable, all the toys and will step out smartly when the pedal is down. Could use better programming on the 5 spd Auto, it feels as though it is hunting for the right gear sometimes. Don't know about reliability, no problems so far. Time will tell.

ranger edge
By torso on 03/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Plus 2WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

a very good truck to own

5 speed manual
By Cruisin on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Nice little truck, fun to drive but not as good of gas milage as was expected, Runs 18-20 mpg highway. Too small of fuel tank, just get cruisin and have to stop for fuel. Driving range of only about 250 miles. Engine surges between 1200 and 2400 RPM. At 19000 miles had to have Clutch replaced, $823.00 out of my pocket as it is a wearable part and not warrantied. My last Ford! Promise..

Never Again
By rm17rm on 01/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB w/393A (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The vehicle itself is not bad. It's Ford that I would do business with again. They replaced the Firestone tires with Goodyear tires. They were defective, the dealer disputed it and refused to replace them. I threw them out, and paid to replace them. When I contacted Ford directly, I was informed I had purchased the best selling truck. In other words, tough luck. In addition, 4.0L engine, California emission = pitiful gas mileage, under 18 around town.

look at the facts
By Rick Casorio on 01/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB w/393A (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Rust on the inside bottoms of the doors. (common problem) Fuel ecomony averaged 14.9.(common problem) Fuel gauge was always inaccurate. Trans had to be rebuilt at 8000 miles due to a blown gasket inside trans.(common problem) Fog lamps replaced 9 times due to moisture build-up inside lens.(common problem) 3 recalls in 1 year. Driver rear door needed re-adjusted because striker wasn't alined. Squealing from front drive wheels.(common problem) Needless to say after a year and a 1/2 of ownership I just sold the truck. As of date this was my worst experience of ownership of a vehicle I ever owned.

Don't Buy A Ford
By Hate my Ranger on 01/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had alot of mechanical problems with this vehicle. The service department at the dealership has not done a single repair correctly the first time. I have contacted Ford customer service about this issue and I am not happy with the way I was treated. I would not recommend this product to anyone. If you want a small truck buy a Toyota.

This truck rocks
By JoeJoes on 01/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck is great, I looked around at Toyotas, Nissans, and GMCs. I found this a much more powerful truck than Nissians and GMCs, and it was cheaper than the Toyota. I love this truck.