Used 2001 Ford Ranger Edge Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

I made a huge mistake buying this truck
By exhaustbearing

2001 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Edge 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I own a 2WD 2001 Ranger Edge with the 3.0L V6 and an automatic transmission with only 80,000 miles on it. So far in the year I've had it, I've had to replace the oil pan gasket (the 3L commonly has oil pan gasket problems, mine was pushed out from the pan/block seal at both ends of the engine), fuel pump (died), blower motor (died), blower resister pack (melted), dash lights (a few behind the speedo and tach died), and starter. And I've still got to replace the seal around the third brake light (leaks like a sieve), and the PATS system (not aftermarket, it's Ford's antitheft system - it often decides the factory keys are not right and locks the truck down in theft mode) Do not buy this truck

Suggested Improvements

-Lighting it on fire -Crushing it -Taking a long drive off a short pier Seriously, don't buy this truck. It's nothing but a huge money pit in parts even if you can do the work yourself. Not to mention it has no power and only gets 13mpg if I hypermile it.

2001 Ranger Edge 2DR SB
By Todd

I have the 3.0L V6. I get decent gas mileage, averaging between 19 and 20 MPG. It truly is a pretty truck when it is driven through town, and gets a lot of attention. Ride height and ground clearance is great, but ride is extremely rough. Great 5-speed manual transmission, and the only problems I have had after 84,000 miles was an emissions problem (EGR flow problems). Other than that, this has been a great truck to drive, and very enjoyable.

Favorite Features

The powerdome hood, a lot of room for larger tires, great body style,

Suggested Improvements

Ride Quality could definitely be improved, because it is real stiff and bouncy. A little more power than the 3.0 that I have.

blue tiger
By bill412

Only problems I had were water leaking through rear window seal, and throttle body malfunctioning. This is a manual shift model, and the clutch feels kind of soft. Very dependable truck, and will haul lots more weight than I thought.

Favorite Features

High road clearance, bed extender.

Suggested Improvements

More powerful base engine would help. I live in a very hilly area, and the 3.0 is marginal going uphill.

Solid Compact Pickup
By the duct-tape kid

Was shopping for daily driver to replace 79 F150.Test drove Edge on whim and fell in love.Semi dual exhaust sounds great.The truck rides higher than base R,but felt more like a truck than base R.Stiff suspension. Makes XLT look wimpy.Basic pickup interior-vinyl floor/seats, crank windows, no power nothin. CD player helps.Only regret is it ain't a long bed. Needed a dependable work truck, and smaller helps in downtown traffic. 3.0L motor isn't too punchy-doesn't get great gas mileage either. Motor weak on incline and auto tranny downshifts to compensate.

Favorite Features

Basic interior that you don't mind getting dirty (wipes clean). Exterior styling, exhaust sound.

Suggested Improvements

Replace jump seats with regular bench. Make dual exhausts for real. Perhaps a floor-mount auto is in order. Long bed for regular cab edge. I hate stem controls sticking out of column. Put wiper on dash, dimmer on floor.

A fun Ride
By ring

This truck is practical as a work vehicle and fun to drive. It has sufficient power for almost all needs.The stereo system is great as is the air conditoner. I suggest the auto trans, it is smooth. If the additonal price is no object, I would suggest the extended cab for more ease. All in all, I love my truck.

Favorite Features

All of 'em

Suggested Improvements

More availability of Yellow color in the standard Edge.