2001 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
I made a huge mistake buying this truck
By exhaustbearing on 08/15/12 16:10 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Edge 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I own a 2WD 2001 Ranger Edge with the 3.0L V6 and an automatic transmission with only 80,000 miles on it. So far in the year I've had it, I've had to replace the oil pan gasket (the 3L commonly has oil pan gasket problems, mine was pushed out from the pan/block seal at both ends of the engine), fuel pump (died), blower motor (died), blower resister pack (melted), dash lights (a few behind the speedo and tach died), and starter. And I've still got to replace the seal around the third brake light (leaks like a sieve), and the PATS system (not aftermarket, it's Ford's antitheft system - it often decides the factory keys are not right and locks the truck down in theft mode) Do not buy this truck

2001 Ranger Edge 2DR SB
By Todd on 01/03/07 12:51 PM (PST)

I have the 3.0L V6. I get decent gas mileage, averaging between 19 and 20 MPG. It truly is a pretty truck when it is driven through town, and gets a lot of attention. Ride height and ground clearance is great, but ride is extremely rough. Great 5-speed manual transmission, and the only problems I have had after 84,000 miles was an emissions problem (EGR flow problems). Other than that, this has been a great truck to drive, and very enjoyable.

blue tiger
By bill412 on 12/08/05 22:37 PM (PST)

Only problems I had were water leaking through rear window seal, and throttle body malfunctioning. This is a manual shift model, and the clutch feels kind of soft. Very dependable truck, and will haul lots more weight than I thought.

Solid Compact Pickup
By the duct-tape kid on 09/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

Was shopping for daily driver to replace 79 F150.Test drove Edge on whim and fell in love.Semi dual exhaust sounds great.The truck rides higher than base R,but felt more like a truck than base R.Stiff suspension. Makes XLT look wimpy.Basic pickup interior-vinyl floor/seats, crank windows, no power nothin. CD player helps.Only regret is it ain't a long bed. Needed a dependable work truck, and smaller helps in downtown traffic. 3.0L motor isn't too punchy-doesn't get great gas mileage either. Motor weak on incline and auto tranny downshifts to compensate.

A fun Ride
By ring on 08/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

This truck is practical as a work vehicle and fun to drive. It has sufficient power for almost all needs.The stereo system is great as is the air conditoner. I suggest the auto trans, it is smooth. If the additonal price is no object, I would suggest the extended cab for more ease. All in all, I love my truck.

One Tough Truck
By Happy Consumer on 06/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Love the way it looks inside and out. Very Rugged; just what you expect a truck to be.

Rollover Risk
By rlayton4 on 04/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

I wouldn't recommend this vehicle-- particularly for young, inexperienced drivers--because of the high risk of rollover. My daughter (age 17), while driving on gravel, hit a loose patch of gravel and rolled the vehicle 1-1/2 times. I personally attribute the accident to: 1 - the design of the vehicle; 2 - road condition; and 3 - inexperienced driver behind the wheel

What a Truck
By Bob Murphy on 02/01/02 14:14 PM (PST)

Damn this truck is fun to drive. I love everything about it except the 13.6 miles to the gallon but hey small price to pay for sucha truck.

Why?
By Justin Walker on 02/01/02 14:07 PM (PST)

Everything about my Ford is excellent, everything except the gas mileage. My beautiful blue Ford Ranger Edge, single cab, is the talk of my street, and the chicks dig it. I do not blame them but the only problem is the gas mileage, I am a conservative driver and I only get 13.7 miles to the gallon. Hey ford do you think you could fix this problem, if you can I will have a new Ranger!!!!