2001 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Good choice for first truck
By fluffy500 on 03/26/14 06:55 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT 2WD Styleside LB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought an 01 Ranger 3.0 XLT 2wd and love it. After I bought it, I let my dad drive it to Springfield from Tulsa, and he floored it the whole way- blowing the head gasket, radiator, and water pump... so dont drive it like a race car. But after replacing the motor, cooling system, and other things, it runs like a dream. I put a lot of performance parts in the engine when I had to replace it, chipped it and put dual straights on it with glasspacks and this improves the mileage 22city 37 highway!. The only problem is the delayed shifting in the aut trans. Looking for a new one that can handle the added torque and power. What kind of trans should I install? Im thinkin an F150 trans...

I made a huge mistake buying this truck
By exhaustbearing on 08/15/12 16:10 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Edge 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I own a 2WD 2001 Ranger Edge with the 3.0L V6 and an automatic transmission with only 80,000 miles on it. So far in the year I've had it, I've had to replace the oil pan gasket (the 3L commonly has oil pan gasket problems, mine was pushed out from the pan/block seal at both ends of the engine), fuel pump (died), blower motor (died), blower resister pack (melted), dash lights (a few behind the speedo and tach died), and starter. And I've still got to replace the seal around the third brake light (leaks like a sieve), and the PATS system (not aftermarket, it's Ford's antitheft system - it often decides the factory keys are not right and locks the truck down in theft mode) Do not buy this truck

217K miles still runs great
By Mad Drew on 12/23/09 16:41 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

What can I say? 217K miles so far and still going strong. 2.5L engine, 5 spd manual. Changed the timing belt & clutch at 155K and checked everything....solid little truck. The interior is getting some wear, the ball joints will probably need replacing soon as will the shocks (hey, > 200K miles on ORIGINAL parts ain't bad) but the truck burns NO oil, still has decent power (tho I'm sure the compression has to be down a bit...) and rides fine. Paint still pretty good, and the interior, tho showing some wear, still is decent. Heck, think I'll buy another one...

2001 Ranger XLT 2WD Short Bed Standard C
By mugrb on 02/06/09 22:03 PM (PST)

Bought this truck used. It has been a good runner - so far. Awesome on gas mileage. During this winter I've been getting easily 24 mpg with 400 lbs of sand over the rear axle. Summer I've been getting very close to 30 mpg, 28 to 29 is common for me. Tricky in the winter months being rear wheel drive. The rear end always goes to the right sending me heading into oncoming traffic driving up an icy slope. The 3.0 liter Vulcan V-6 is starting to get a bit noisy with being almost 110k miles. It rides quiet for a small pickup. Cruise control button on the left side is loose. The EGR system could be upgraded too a more reliable system.

My Ford
By VBCWXSPOTTER on 06/16/07 22:56 PM (PDT)

This truck in my view handles very well. The five speed manual is very good on gas mileage. Seating is very comfortable for a long legged fellow like me. Towing is a bit sluggish on larger hills though.

2001 Ranger Edge 2DR SB
By Todd on 01/03/07 12:51 PM (PST)

I have the 3.0L V6. I get decent gas mileage, averaging between 19 and 20 MPG. It truly is a pretty truck when it is driven through town, and gets a lot of attention. Ride height and ground clearance is great, but ride is extremely rough. Great 5-speed manual transmission, and the only problems I have had after 84,000 miles was an emissions problem (EGR flow problems). Other than that, this has been a great truck to drive, and very enjoyable.

My Truck
By socha818 on 05/11/06 08:03 AM (PDT)

Well gets awesome gas mileage for a truck. A cover over the bed added about 3 mpg more. Disadvantage: not very good traction in snow or rain. Not a lot of weight in back of truck, even with 140lbs extra. Just had some rear brake problems. Advantages: Again the gas mileage is great. Fun truck, 5-speed manual, good response. Easy to do self fix-ups, oil and filters. Don't need a jack to change oil and oil filter. Overall good, sometimes troublesome but nothing a little loving can't take care of.

expensive transmission repair
By dave king on 02/09/06 18:29 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Ran good for the first 40,000 then $2300.00 transmission repair due to electronics. Lifters rattle under small hills. Oil pressure guage broken. I have towing package but only towed a small boat three times. Glad it wasn't more -- a lot more would be broken. I WAS a FORD nut. No more.

blue tiger
By bill412 on 12/08/05 22:37 PM (PST)

Only problems I had were water leaking through rear window seal, and throttle body malfunctioning. This is a manual shift model, and the clutch feels kind of soft. Very dependable truck, and will haul lots more weight than I thought.

Built Ford TOUGH
By Jgloss on 11/15/05 16:56 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT 2WD Flareside SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great truck, especially for the teenagers like me that just want a truck to drive around in. It is everything a guy could want in a small sized truck.