Used 2001 Ford Ranger Edge Plus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

164000 miles and still kickin
By Ncbmxpro

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Plus 2WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my truck new in 2001. I have 164,000 miles on it and it still runs like a champ. Besides oil changes, tires, fuel and air filters, and some light bulbs I have only needed to replace the spark plugs and wires, and distribution cap. Not too bad for an 8 year old truck. And I havent babied this thing either. I have had body damage repaired three times and replaced a rim after hitting a curb at 50mph when the truck was only 2 years old.

Suggested Improvements

The interior is breaking down on me. Couple cracks and tears in the seats but that is expected I suppose.

MY EDGE
By asnakebite

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Plus 2WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has been trouble free mechanically. The plastic bed rails were replace twice during warranty because they cracked. The second replacement set has remained good. This vehicle has stiff suspension, but it provides corning that is better than any pickup I have ever had, and I have had five. The 4 liter V6 is big power for this size truck, and gets 20 mpg with mixed freeway/city streets driving.

Favorite Features

Nice interior, great sound system.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Fair Review
By hchapple

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Plus 2WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it used from Carmax to use as second vehicle with more hauling capability. Have sold primary auto now (Mercedes SUV) and find the daily driving of the Ranger is very satisfying. Great acceleration. Nice looks. Good handling and brakes.

Favorite Features

Performance, ride height, floors.

Suggested Improvements

Better (firmer) seats.

bjwegde
By brian waller

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Plus 2WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

my edge has been great. i have had no problems, with any thing on it. i even upgraded the sound system with more powerful speakers and installed a bazooka amplifier bass tube and sounds great.

Favorite Features

strong 4.0 engine. body design

Suggested Improvements

standard 4 door design, for easier access to rear of cab

Poor Build Quality / Attractive Wrappper
By edge4syn

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Plus 2WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Poor build quality. About to go in the shop for the fifth time. One sensor after another has gone bad. Rim had a defect and was replaced. Gas mileage is nowhere near stated mileage. Trans has already begun slipping. Good looking, nice driving truck with powerful 4.0 engine. The interior was designed for the active crowd, yet every time the seats get wet or damp they develop stains. The interior door handles are plastic and have begun peeling. I have been a ford guy my entire life, and I would say there's a good chance I'll never buy another Ford.

Favorite Features

Engine, looks.

Suggested Improvements

New trans, new interior seat covers, get rid of the cheap plastic, inprove the quality of the components you use.