2000 Ford Ranger Consumer Review: Truck Drivin' Gal Trades Range

2000 Ford Ranger - Consumer Review

XLT Regular Cab Pickup (3.0L V6 FFV 4x4 5-speed Manual)

Truck Drivin' Gal Trades Ranger: Why?
By writerdianalee on

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Well, "I Luv My Truck" but I'm tradin' it after 2 years. It looks GREAT, mowed through snow with the 4WD, CD/FM/AM radio pretty good, but all this comes with a price. Steering wheel column started smoking when some wire went haywire ($200 @82K); fuel injector went at 84K ($300), serpentine belt (all 3 of them) scream in damp weather (embarrassing); lag in tranny, brakes grab bad when wet, gutless on steep hills with a load, (3.5 liter); using E85 is great, but the price is that hot alcohol cleaned out remnants left from gas use (new fuel injector); fog lights come on when they feel like it, power window feels like it's going. Still, it's been reliable, it is sturdy and it looks good.

Sidestep into bed, AC is good, place for my purse on console, chrome is so sharp on bumpers, love how high it rides, E85 is the way to go, bed is very sturdy with a Duraliner. I threw huge chunks of sawed up trees in it and hauled them for my Dad. Tuff little truck. Started every day without fail.

Serpentine belt scream -- c'mon guys, fix it! Why is there a lag when I step on the gas? Why do the brakes grab so bad when wet, we're talkin' REAL bad. I finally adjusted and just pump them to dry them out. Jump seats too small for people older than 12. But my dog loves them!