Ridge Ranger proves to be affordable
By Phil on
2000 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab LB
My first truck was an '87 ranger, and I've now had the 2000 model for 4 years. Put about 60,000 onto the existing 47,000 miles from date of purchase. Like my previous ranger, some things seem to need replacement every 4 years or so. I'm about to replace the clutch, although my driving has been a little harder given that I live in the country. Also Universal joints, alternator, heater core, filters of course... actually not too bad. now at about 100000, I'm flushing radiator, doing brakes, fuel filter, checking plugs and fuses, replaced battery 3x now it's always corroding-maybe I'll make a cover... needs fresh suspension. But overall suprisingly sturdy truck when it's taken care of.
Favorite Features
Standard interior with the rubber floor and vinyl seats is very easy for cleaning. Fuel economy is great, must be better than 22 mpg. the 5 speed is classic makes a fun drive in the hills. On a cold day, the make of the cab keeps the heat in very well. parts are easy to find and repair by hand.
Suggested Improvements
2wd has 3 springs in the back so for a stock ranger it's easy to become overloaded Interior has too much plastic on dash and doors. Needs an ash tray or tray for change Few rivits in fenders and doors, exterior is generally thin, easy to dent. Cab is much to small for necessary road tools n comfort