2000 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
i this truck
By hzw on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

I this truck. it has no power, you have to push down the accelerator as far as it will go just to do 45 up a small hill. it's fun todrive and reliable but dodge dakotas are SO much better in every area.

Good Vehicle
By VANBEN on 01/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

This is my second Ranger first a 1991 XLT it was a great truck and loved it, this one I like better it has more style better gas mileage and ride and came with a bed liner overall a nice ride.

satisfied owner
By DDG on 12/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I brought home my Ranger in the Spring of 2000. It has been a great truck to own. The four-wheel drive with the limited-slip axle is awesome in the snow. Acceleration from the 4.0 impresses, but the gas milage doesn't. The engine has performed flawlessly with out any mechanical problems. I thought it was a bit pricy when optioned out compared to a full-sized truck with about the same equipment. Towing is very good, as is the overall comfort. The jumpseats are best suited for smaller people. Would be a better interstate runner if not for the gas consumption!

My lemon-Ranger nightmare
By lemon_ranger on 12/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

It's always in the shop. The compressor turns on and off so fast that it makes a loud rattling noise. The inept Ford mechanics have no idea how to fix it..I've had it to multiple dealerships. I sued ford and they settled... now it has problems starting. I'm never buying a Ford again. Beware...buy an import it'll hold it's value better and be more reliable. Toyota would be my next choice.

Don't even look at an S10
By TVman on 12/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have owned three rangers including the 2000 I have now. I have also driven S10s in the past. No comparison! The ranger wins hands down. The ride, handling,interior controls,looks, and overall quality are much better.I drive 30,000 miles a year and have had very few problems. If looking for a small truck, don't waste your time at a GM lot--buy the ranger.

ranger rob
By Robert Harvey on 10/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I am a commuter. A small 4 cylinder truck meets my needs for travel as well as giving me the flexability to do chores around the house (mulch, dump, loam, etc.) In addition, the Ranger is a nice looking truck (rims,wheels,chrome bumpers, etc.). Don't quite understand why the engine requires 2 spark plugs per cylinder...if it is for extra power in the four cylinder?...it is not happening! Better combustion? Salesman did not know!

Fun Lovin' Truck
By kjhinds on 09/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I am glad a purchased my Ford Ranger over a Toyota Tacoma because of the comfort factor. The Toyota was not comfortable at all. The only dissappointing thing about Ranger is the truck's 3.0 engine. It does OK but it is no powerehouse. Fuel economy is nice. It is fun to just drive the truck around. I have to keep the keys hid or my wife will take it instead of her Jeep Grand Cherokee.

good stuff
By Aruba27 on 08/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I've had this truck for a few weeks now. Because mine is a manual, i've gotten it to get great, and horrible gas mileage. mine is also a 4 cyl, which is why i can get such good mileage. the acceleration is horrible though, even though it is a manual transmission.

dna
By l heath on 08/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

this is my third ranger and each one has been a little gem

Last Ranger
By Gersey Jim on 08/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Purchased USED,had 25000 on odometer. Enemic engine to say the least. Screams on the interstate, with a moderate load I'm being passed by 18 wheelers, with my foot mashed to the firewall. I always thought Ford made the Ranger but I'm now convinced Mazda makes it. One can not compare it to the Chevie S-10, I've owned three S-10 and this is my First and Last Ranger. The Chevie V-6 is twice the engine the Ranger has... As for creature comforts, Ford should borrow an S-10 and maybe copy half their interior design, starting with ease of getting into the back of the extended cab.Do yourself a favor, Drive an S-10 then the Ranger, you won't go Ford, I promise you.