Used 2000 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Ford Ranger Centennial Model
By Woody

2000 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck has been excellent, in all conditions. It has been in the deserts of Arizona, the mountains of Utah, and winters in western New York. It has never had a maintenance problem, is fun to drive, and delivered on the promises by Ford. Its gas mileage is not a plus, but it has a 4 liter V6. The engine is German-made and rock solid. The truck now has over 100,000 miles and still looks and runs like new.

Favorite Features

The truck is attractive and the larger 16" wheels have made a big difference in appearance. Also, the mag wheels that came with the truck were one of the better wheels on Fords in the past 7-8 years.

Suggested Improvements

Lengthen the SuperCab to enable bench seating and lengthen the bed. The only downside to the truck has been the jump seating in the rear.

All around good truck
By KaiserM715

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck new and have really enjoyed it. I have not had to make any repairs other than routine maintenance (truck has about 61k miles). I have used it for off-roading trail riding frequently and it has performed well, going any place a stock Wrangler can go. I have hauled over 1000 lbs in the bed with good results (went 65mph and got 20mpg!). The seats are comfortable for long trips and the interior has held up very well (seats still look new). The jump seats are not really good for much, however. 4.0L fuel economy could be better (avg 14-15mpg city and 18-20mpg hwy).

Favorite Features

-4 doors! After having this, I will never get another extended cab without them. -Fun to drive. I always look forward to driving my truck. -A cinch to work on (fluid changes, brake pads, etc.).

Suggested Improvements

-Jump seats are useless for anything other than very short trips. Covered by the new Ranger FX4 Level II. -More engine power and better fuel economy (addressed by 4.0L SOHC). -Better limited slip (addressed by Thorsen limited slip).

Great truck!
By good_truck

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had this truck since new, and abused it a lot. I almost never change the oil (about every 7-8,000 miles), and have done NO other maintenance on it. Brakes lasted over 100,000 miles, clutch is still good, engine runs like a top. The 2.5 is really a strong, bulletproof engine. I have really been impressed with the truck. It's not nice (Sport model with vinyl floorboards - the only option I have is A/C), but great basic transportation. Good thing I like the truck, because I don't think I could kill it if I wanted to!

Favorite Features

Bulletproof engine always runs great, even without performing any maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Not any really.

good overall truck
By heath

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is a great truck that I know is reliable. I have put this truck through hell and it still runs like it is brand new. i have 78,000 miles on it now and it still runs the same. Good power for the engine size, but terrible gas mileage. There are only two things I dislike about the truck. One is it gets terrible gas mileage and the other is that the truck has holes underneath the fender flares. Whoever made this design of holes underneath the flares is not very smart. Some people might want to take those off and now they have 40 or 50 holes in the side of their truck. I am one of these Ford customers who has this problem.

Favorite Features

The low range for the four wheel drive has a lot of torque. I have been impressed the way the truck pulls in the mud for the size engine it has.

Suggested Improvements

My truck needs to have better gas mileage and to have something done with all of those holes on the outside of my truck, but besides that I like the truck a lot.

Truck Drivin' Gal Trades Ranger: Why?
By writerdianalee

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Well, "I Luv My Truck" but I'm tradin' it after 2 years. It looks GREAT, mowed through snow with the 4WD, CD/FM/AM radio pretty good, but all this comes with a price. Steering wheel column started smoking when some wire went haywire ($200 @82K); fuel injector went at 84K ($300), serpentine belt (all 3 of them) scream in damp weather (embarrassing); lag in tranny, brakes grab bad when wet, gutless on steep hills with a load, (3.5 liter); using E85 is great, but the price is that hot alcohol cleaned out remnants left from gas use (new fuel injector); fog lights come on when they feel like it, power window feels like it's going. Still, it's been reliable, it is sturdy and it looks good.

Favorite Features

Sidestep into bed, AC is good, place for my purse on console, chrome is so sharp on bumpers, love how high it rides, E85 is the way to go, bed is very sturdy with a Duraliner. I threw huge chunks of sawed up trees in it and hauled them for my Dad. Tuff little truck. Started every day without fail.

Suggested Improvements

Serpentine belt scream -- c'mon guys, fix it! Why is there a lag when I step on the gas? Why do the brakes grab so bad when wet, we're talkin' REAL bad. I finally adjusted and just pump them to dry them out. Jump seats too small for people older than 12. But my dog loves them!