Used 2000 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Awesome Truck
By PaulThePianoman

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought it used with 30k miles on it. I have 81k now with no problems. I did all the standard maintenance. I hate to sell it but I need I need more seats with a growing family. Was rated a best buy by Edmunds when I bought it and they were right

Favorite Features

I put a topper on it and used it so many times. Extra jump seats helped a few times.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little bigger engine but gas miles are good with this engine. Would buy it again if it had a crew cab with long bed

Trusty Ranger
By Mattalicious

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have never had any major issue with this pick-up and it has met or exceeded my needs all the time. Drove it from east Texas to Colorado and back and never had an issue (except me driving in the snow!). Would have preferred a V6 for more horsepower, but for my basic uses and the gas prices lately I am happy with my 4 cylinder engine. Road noise isn't the best but with a good CD playing, the sound system can drown it out pretty well. I will always prefer to drive around in my Ranger than any other vehicle (including full-size trucks and any car) just for comfort. Easy to drive because it isn't too big, but it is able to do light-duty hauling and other work.

Favorite Features

Comfort of driving and visibility.

Suggested Improvements

A little more chrome. Mandatory V6 for horsepower

Like Appearance and Driveability
By Gordon

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Highlights: Reliability and looks. Disappointments: Lack of power. Center consol breaks if you lean on it. Steering wheel pattern disappears with wear. Believe mileage suffers from 4w drive, but don't check that much.

Favorite Features

Looks. Very nice styling. It has never let me down, but I don't use 4w drive much.

Suggested Improvements

I hope Ford has fixed the awful center console design problem. I leaned on it once, and it broke. Cantilever design was badly executed. Also irritates me that the steering wheel pattern disappeared with wear, but it was even worse on our Toyota Avalon.

But forgien!
By MT Man

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I inherited it from an elderly relative who bought it brand new. When I got it it had only 27K miles on it. It's noisy, it looks and feel cheap both inside and out. The fuel milege is terrible. If I drive it 65 I can squeeze 17mpg out of it. The electric door locks quit at 30K miles and the transmission gave up at 33K miles. Now they want $3K to put in a replacement. when I asked if the new transmission would last longer than the old one, the dealer just shrugged. I can't beleive what a piece of crap this truck is. Ford should be ashamed!

Favorite Features

AC works well.

Suggested Improvements

Where to start. The entire running gear is junk. This vehicle should get 20 mpg at highway speds, not 15. The transmission is only good for use as a boat anchor.

Good, not Great
By TruckMan92

2000 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

All in all, a pretty good truck. By no means the best in the mid- sized/compact class. The truck is a lot of fun to drive, and gets the job done. The seats are comfortable, the extended-cab is functional. The towing/payload capacities are about as good as anything else in its class. I have used this truck for everything. Its reliability is great, never had a problem. The interior design is very plain, nothing special at all. The exterior is nice, but again, nothing special. The quality is good, everythings sturdy, its a Ford. The performance and drive are great. It handles turns well, breaking is nice, acceleration is suprisingly good. The fuel economy is terrible, 14 MPG!

Favorite Features

4WD, cab space, sound system, handling, ABS.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage! EPA estimated is 15 city, around 20 highway. In reality, it gets 13-14 City and 18-19 Highway (Well maintained). A full-sized gets better gas mileage. And keep in mind, this is only a V6! Would also like to see improvements in the design, it needs an update.