Used 2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Ranger is rugged
By William

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought this vehicle six weeks ago from original owner who'd put 82,000 miles on it. Had it tuned up (new plugs, serpentine belt, engine coolant, etc.) and it runs great. Has 4.0 V-6 with 5 speed automatic. Ideal for hauling off yard debris, clipping or the occasional piece of furniture, etc. Excellent for towing my motorcycle. Gas mileage isn't great, but that's because of 4.10 rear end. So far so good.

Favorite Features

Seats look like new. Controls are mostly intuitive. Lots of torque. Looks good with 4x4 off-road package, stainless steel skid plate, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage would always be nice.

Not Ford Tough
By I hate Ford

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

First off the gas mileage is terrible. I am averaging about 14 miles to the gallon. We had to replace the transfer case motor at 75,000 miles. It was a 500 dollar part. Then 15,000 miles and a year and two weeks later it went bad again. It was over the warranty and that was $1000 in one year! We have had very very bad rear brakes. They are drum brakes and should last at least 50,000 miles they have lasted less than one thousand miles. No wonder that Ford is losing money. This truck was not even close to built Ford tough.

Favorite Features

4x4 when it works. Everything when it is not broken down.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. Transfer case motors. Brakes.

My Ford
By wingnut

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck has been a good, solid means of transportation. It is good for hauling standard cargo (though the back suspension is a little soft for heavier loads). However, as a daily driver it has mediocre power and lousy gas mileage (17mpg mixed!). If you need to haul light cargo, get the 4cyl. If you need to pull things, get a big diesel. As for myself, my next purchase will be a good hatchback. However, I won't be buying anything until my truck dies. Admittedly, with a Ranger, that could be a very, very long time.

Favorite Features

Reliability. The Ranger feels very solid and hefty. The seats are comfortable and the stereo is not bad.

Suggested Improvements

Power! I have to hit the "OD off" button when passing someone to get it to down shift correctly. Fuel economy! If you're gonna make a hefty 3.0 v6, at least make it powerful. Otherwise, you may as well have gotten the 4 cylinder model

Why can't Ford build a reliable transmission
By Why Fords suck

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is a vehicle that is rarely used, particularly over the last two and a half years since I drive a more gas thrifty 1999 Nissan Sentra. The vehicle has received regular maintenance per warranty, and yet at 58,000 miles is diagnosed with a failing third gear on an automatic. We had the same type of trouble on our 1991 Ford Taurus Wagon. Its transmission was replaced under warranty at 29,000 miles, and failed again about 50,000 miles later, at which time we all but gave the vehicle away as a trade-in on a reliable 1997 Honda Accord. The Ranger never got better than 20 miles to the gallon, and required premium fuel in the summer or when hauling any load. I hope Ford goes bankrupt.

Suggested Improvements

Quit making cars and make farm implements or something else. Your cars are junk and waste the hard working family's money. I personally hope your entire company goes bankrupt. We didn't even get our brand new, off the truck Ford Ranger home before the fuel line disconnected from the fuel filter.

Keeps On Truckin
By Jim

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I drive a lot, usually about 40k per year. I have had great luck with the Ford Ranger. I have the 4.0L with a 5 speed manual (special order) and love it. It has plenty of power and torque. I also do a lot of off road driving. The off-road package handles great and is very comfortable on the highway also. This is the 5th Ranger that I have had. Other than replacing the clutch at 120K I have had not maintenance issue. I have 160k on it now and do not plan to trade it for at least another year so it will close to 200k. When I trade it will be for another Ranger!

Favorite Features

All around excellent vehicle. Love the drive and the reliability.

Suggested Improvements

A more powerful engine.