Used 2000 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Love It!
By rgattic

2000 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought is two years ago and so far so good! I get about 26 MPG (mostly highway miles on the 2.5L engine). I also use often for home improvement. I built a deck with it and have carried some heavy loads for my landscaping and the truck is holding up great!

Favorite Features

Love the A/C in the summer time (it cools very fast). I am very surprised and impressed with the MPGs-26! This is a reliable truck.

Suggested Improvements

Needs styling updates.

It's a good small truck.
By Mike

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

My Ranger is an awesome truck, except for the gas mileage (it's a truck, what do you expect). I have the 4 door (2dr with two rear hinged drs), it's also a 5-speed manual and has the 4L V6 engine (heard that the 4L was the better of the two engines), 4x4 off road pkg and tears through the snow. I bought it at 46500 miles and put 20500 miles on it so far, and also halled a 630 lb load of scrap steel with now problems what so ever in the bed. With the truck being 8 years old now, the only prblems are the power locks are going out and the cd and cassette player is also going out. That's great for an 8 year old truck with 67000 miles. Have no regets here!

Favorite Features

4x4 off road is awesome, love using the manual transmission as a clutch break (keeps wear off of the brakes as much), 4L engine has the power needed for better hauling vs the 3.0L

Suggested Improvements

Put an electric radiator fan in place of the regular factory fan. It will give better gas mileage overall and give the engine more power.

OK, but better out there.
By Andy

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Not a bad little truck, extended cab has come into handy with putting hunting and fishing stuff right behind the driver seat. Stepside gives a trendy look but doesn't do much good with the Tanoe cover. Got the 3.0V6 with the 5speed automatic and it has little trouble hauling half a ton and towing 3/4 of a ton which is pretty exceptional for a small truck. Only problem I have had was the master fuse blowing and the alternator not charging the battery and the truck dying while driving through town. (Not fun at all.) Overall 8/10.

Favorite Features

Stepsides gives a pretty cool look, and the 29'' Bighorn Maxxis tires on it give it an agressive look. Engine has no problem doing what you would expect a small truck to do, but it would be nice having the 4.0V6 for a little extra power.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage and center console fixed, bad stock radio, some electrical problems. Getting about 17-18MPG if I really baby the truck, which I don't mind, but expect better from a small truck. Center console breaks easily, every time I put my elbow in it to get my keys it bends inwards.

My Ranger
By SB

2000 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is my 2nd Ranger. I have 150000 miles and going strong. The only repairs I have done is emissons, clutch, and brakes. I pull a 2000 pound trailer over the pass 10 times a year. I run this truck hard and it just keeps taking it. This is built Ford tough.

Favorite Features

4 doors

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy

First truck and lovin it!
By richardheppner

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is my first pickup and I've enjoyed it. I have a 2000 that I picked up from the inlaws for little to nothing. It only had 30,000 miles and was hardly driven for a couple of years. So I got what I considered a super deal, and a great truck like brand new. I've had nothing but just a serpintine belt go bad and replaced. Super reliable!

Favorite Features

I love the look and the cool drive. I love the cdplayer too. I don't have power windows, but they roll down super easy, just takes a small effort. I also love the color, a reddish maroon, I found a cool A.R.E. topper, and I'm set.

Suggested Improvements

Probably the check engine light which will hopefully go off when I get it fixed. Hasn't caused any problems that I noticed.