2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
My Ranger
By SB on 05/26/08 09:41 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is my 2nd Ranger. I have 150000 miles and going strong. The only repairs I have done is emissons, clutch, and brakes. I pull a 2000 pound trailer over the pass 10 times a year. I run this truck hard and it just keeps taking it. This is built Ford tough.

Awesome Truck
By PaulThePianoman on 02/04/08 16:41 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought it used with 30k miles on it. I have 81k now with no problems. I did all the standard maintenance. I hate to sell it but I need I need more seats with a growing family. Was rated a best buy by Edmunds when I bought it and they were right

Like Appearance and Driveability
By Gordon on 01/05/08 10:24 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Highlights: Reliability and looks. Disappointments: Lack of power. Center consol breaks if you lean on it. Steering wheel pattern disappears with wear. Believe mileage suffers from 4w drive, but don't check that much.

But forgien!
By MT Man on 12/20/07 15:18 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I inherited it from an elderly relative who bought it brand new. When I got it it had only 27K miles on it. It's noisy, it looks and feel cheap both inside and out. The fuel milege is terrible. If I drive it 65 I can squeeze 17mpg out of it. The electric door locks quit at 30K miles and the transmission gave up at 33K miles. Now they want $3K to put in a replacement. when I asked if the new transmission would last longer than the old one, the dealer just shrugged. I can't beleive what a piece of crap this truck is. Ford should be ashamed!

Good, not Great
By TruckMan92 on 12/19/07 13:49 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

All in all, a pretty good truck. By no means the best in the mid- sized/compact class. The truck is a lot of fun to drive, and gets the job done. The seats are comfortable, the extended-cab is functional. The towing/payload capacities are about as good as anything else in its class. I have used this truck for everything. Its reliability is great, never had a problem. The interior design is very plain, nothing special at all. The exterior is nice, but again, nothing special. The quality is good, everythings sturdy, its a Ford. The performance and drive are great. It handles turns well, breaking is nice, acceleration is suprisingly good. The fuel economy is terrible, 14 MPG!

Good truck
By jeff brown on 09/22/07 03:10 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Second one that I have owned. Looking to buy my third. Disappointed with the 3.0 like the 4.0 better

Not a good truck
By w.pratt on 08/04/07 07:13 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Bought truck at 60000 miles. Looked and ran good but immediately ran into trouble, while on trip left front abs brake failed. Cost 550 bucks at dealer for new rotor pads and wheel bearing because sensor is part of the bearing. 2 years later same scenario on other side. Also front axle stared growling, haven't fixed that yet, as need another 12oo bucks for this. Now at 98000 miles relegated to only driving in winter, as it is now a carportqueen. Also inside box rotting out, although plastic outside looks like new.

Low Budget 4x4
By John on 07/17/07 19:19 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I bought this truck used in 2005 with a 3.0LV6, with 68K miles on it. It provided me with a 4x4 at an affordable price for a Highschool student. Now, two years later, I have 86K miles and have had nothing go wrong with it other than normal wear and tear. For the price, you are getting a well-designed vehicle inside and out! Definitely a must have for any highschool student that has a parent willing to help them finance. Definitely not for anyone who needs to do heavy hauling or drives more than one other person in it though.

Not too bad
By John on 07/11/07 07:52 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Bought a 2000 Ford Ranger XLT with a 3.0L V6 4wd. The one word that best describes it is reliable. Bought it with 68k miles on it, and other than regular wear and tear, I have never had any problems with it. This truck is best for anyone who mainly drives by themselves, wants 4wd, and is looking for something newer at a lower price. I wouldn't reccomend it if you drive more than just you and one other person. No more room (even with the extended cab.), or if you have heavy hauling to do.

Ranger is rugged
By William on 03/17/07 08:15 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought this vehicle six weeks ago from original owner who'd put 82,000 miles on it. Had it tuned up (new plugs, serpentine belt, engine coolant, etc.) and it runs great. Has 4.0 V-6 with 5 speed automatic. Ideal for hauling off yard debris, clipping or the occasional piece of furniture, etc. Excellent for towing my motorcycle. Gas mileage isn't great, but that's because of 4.10 rear end. So far so good.