2000 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Great Little Truck!
By Satisfied Driver on 01/06/10 12:45 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I recieved this car brand new when I was sixteen in exchange for getting a full ride to college (I was pretty spoiled). I drove it until Christmas 2009 when I got t-boned and they totalled it out. One weird thing: after four wrecks (never give a teenager a new car people!) the air bags have still not deployed. I have never had a head-on collision, which may be the key. The good things: great gas mileage (~20mpg), the bed holds all my junk when I moved in and out of college, and I've never had to make any major repairs in ten years of owning it. There were two small things, both under $150. Two-seater truck isn't great for a family but it was perfect for me and I'll sure miss it!

Long-lasting little truck
By edaras on 08/04/09 11:07 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Owned since new, now has 134,000mi. Small knock in engine under warranty, ford replaced at 33000 miles. Have done new clutch & front of trans, brakes (2x), alternator (2x), one front wheel bearing/abs issue, egr valve (2x) & rpm revving issue. Auto door locks just started being sketchy in year 9 of ownership. My center console cracks inward like other reviewers said. Mileage is so-so at 14-18. All that said, from northern Wisconsin to western mountain winters, 4x4 and handling are great. It's a little workhorse under load. Yes, it lugs up some hills (3.0L v6 flex fuel engine). And it lugs small trailers okay. It's done everything I've asked it to for 9+ years.

Great truck
By kyle on 04/26/09 10:46 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My ranger has the 3.0 and does pretty good off-road its all stock. Ive gone througn some ppretty good mud holes and creeks that a friend of mine wouldn't go through in his cuumins that is tricked out. And i have yet to get it stuck. The truck could have a little more power and Ford should definatley consider dohc. I average about 20 mpgs and thats a mix of highway, city, and farm road driving. the only problems ive had are o2 censors but with 100,000 miles that can be expected. all n all its had a pretty tuff life and i doubt that a colorado tacoma or frontier would still be running. Low end torque and hp could be better but if you put on an intake exhaust an chip you be rollin

Might Be a Mistake
By mike on 04/19/09 09:31 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought this truck used and within 6 months i have had to replace the U- joint on the drivetrain, the entire braking system, heater core and the heat has also stop working and the dealership has no idea why.

THE BEST
By Chris on 03/22/09 20:31 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I cant tell you how much I AM IMPRESSED With The ranger line this truck now has 303221 miles on it.I bought it new. and it is still going strong (everyday driver). other than regular maint. it has givin me no headaches. unlike my S10 WHICH WAS A BIG MISTAKE. IT IS NOW HAPPILY RESTING IN THE JUNKYARD.at 90000 miles 2 trannys and 1 engine later.I ALSO BOUGHT A 1994 RANGER 2.2 AUTOMATIC NEW. THIS TRUCK WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE TRANSMISSION FAILURE AT 135000. ALSO HAS BEEN FANTASTIC. Still have it as well drive it when I want to IT HAS 356000 miles on it.BOTH VEHICLES are still in fantastic shape no knocks and burn no oil.Getting ready to purchase another.and I WONT PART WITH THEESE 2

Looking to Buy my 2nd Ranger
By Bill on 12/07/08 09:48 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought my first Ford Ranger brand new with less than 100 miles on it in 2000. The day after Thanskgiving I was in a wreck and the truck was totaled. At the time I had over 178000 miles on it. I have to say the Ranger is the best vehicle I have ever owned price wise, mileage, maintenance, etc. With proper maintenance I only replaced the serpentine belt, timing belt, and the alternator during the 8+ yrs. I owned the truck. Loved the style, handling, and comfort it provided not to mention the deal I got from the dealership. My borther who deals in used cars was so impressed with my Ranger that he bought himself one and we both stand behind the Ranger 100%.

Great little truck
By Preston on 10/22/08 13:20 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Awesome truck! I bought it used and lost it in a bad wreck today. Truck I found out the hard way was built incredibly well, and it truthfully saved my four-year-old's and my life in a head-on collision. Over the years, I would maintain the truck and it just kept putting down the road. Gas mileage was about 20MPG and served as a great lightweight utility and commute truck. Overall, it was an amazing truck and will be missed.

Ford, some mods and keep going.
By Dragon Fly on 08/20/08 09:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

I brought it on 2000 no major repairs, just regular maintenance and every 60k miles timing belt service and plugs. They are not fuel savers but extremely good machines. Imagine 6 years running on nitrous once a week without breaking anything.

Love It!
By rgattic on 07/31/08 07:03 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought is two years ago and so far so good! I get about 26 MPG (mostly highway miles on the 2.5L engine). I also use often for home improvement. I built a deck with it and have carried some heavy loads for my landscaping and the truck is holding up great!

It's a good small truck.
By Mike on 07/22/08 21:30 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

My Ranger is an awesome truck, except for the gas mileage (it's a truck, what do you expect). I have the 4 door (2dr with two rear hinged drs), it's also a 5-speed manual and has the 4L V6 engine (heard that the 4L was the better of the two engines), 4x4 off road pkg and tears through the snow. I bought it at 46500 miles and put 20500 miles on it so far, and also halled a 630 lb load of scrap steel with now problems what so ever in the bed. With the truck being 8 years old now, the only prblems are the power locks are going out and the cd and cassette player is also going out. That's great for an 8 year old truck with 67000 miles. Have no regets here!