Used 2000 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 105 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

11 Year Review
By red70

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

2.5L Engine, Manual, 4.10 axle. Actual mileage was 69K last year. I made a typo on my 10 year review, but still low miles for the age of the truck.
Most Reliable vehicle I have ever owned. It may be slow, the paint may be pealing off, and the design is 20 plus years old, but I would not own another vehicle for everyday use. I have no worries or concerns with this truck. I expect to get another 10 years out of it. Maintenance cost for the last 11 years has been about $250. Two oil changes, one thermostat, one battery, that's it.

a good working truck...
By riva40

2000 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had this truck since 2004 and never had any problems.
its good on gas and the ride is quite comfortable, highly recommended!

Strong Runner
By Rio

2000 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck used in 2003. It has been the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. Gas mileage isn't that great (20 mpg), but a very strong performer. The 4.0 L V6 comes in very handy when you need it. Great acceleration for passing truckers on hills in the mountains. The 4WD has performed flawlessly in the winter, and I have pulled lots of people out of ditches and towed them up icy hills. The only things I've replaced on this truck are the front brake shoes (80,000 miles), a couple sets of tires, and the windshield. The only modification I had installed was a dual exhaust cat-back for $300, which greatly improved the power.

The 360 degree overall visibility is great to have. A nice high ride in spite of it's size.

I eventually had to disconnect the cab light, because it kept turning on by itself, the doors tend to make a clunking sound while driving, and the dash controls are a bit flimsy.

10 year review
By Red

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

My truck is a 2.5L manual with a 4.10 rear axle. I bought it new, and now have 39k miles on it. I have changed the oil twice. It sat for a few years, and it fired right up with a jump start. This is a very reliable truck. Acceleration is slow, but because of the gearing, it has no problem climbing hills, even with its 119hp engine. I replaced the cooling system thermostat recently because I needed to have it smoged, but it ran just fine with it stuck open. Clutch, brakes, and tranny are still fine. This is the best vehicle to abuse and neglect.

Reliability and simple 4 cylinder engine.

Keep using the Pinto engine for reliability.

I love my pick-em-up truck
By Dale W.

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my truck brand new in April 2000. It has 4 doors (2 regular and 2 small rear doors). It gets up and goes every time I need it to. My only complaint is that it could use a little more power and torque. If FORD could add that without decreasing fuel economy, then they would have the end all be all in truck in the light truck division. It handles well, moves when you hit the throttle, and hauls anything the 150's do with-in reason. It is a shame that FORD is not going to continue the Ranger tradition. If they make casual updates then it would continue to sell well. Radio didn't last as long as it should but that is a Pioneer for you.

The extended cab. It holds everything I need it to. Wish it could come with out the two jump seats.

Better torque, extended cab with out the jump seats, rubber floor mats through out (No Carpet). Could use a little better fuel mileage. Currently at 20+/- MPG