2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
a good working truck...
By riva40 on 03/20/11 19:57 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had this truck since 2004 and never had any problems. its good on gas and the ride is quite comfortable, highly recommended!

Strong Runner
By Rio on 06/09/10 08:28 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck used in 2003. It has been the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. Gas mileage isn't that great (20 mpg), but a very strong performer. The 4.0 L V6 comes in very handy when you need it. Great acceleration for passing truckers on hills in the mountains. The 4WD has performed flawlessly in the winter, and I have pulled lots of people out of ditches and towed them up icy hills. The only things I've replaced on this truck are the front brake shoes (80,000 miles), a couple sets of tires, and the windshield. The only modification I had installed was a dual exhaust cat-back for $300, which greatly improved the power.

Great Truck
By razorback49 on 03/12/10 19:00 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

We bought this little truck in Phoenix Arizona off a little mom and pop lot. Ranger XLT, Tonneau cover, 15 inch American racing wheels. It had 77,000 on it when we bought it and now has 126,500 and still going strong. Only thing we had to do to it was replace a front rotor and pads. Just had all the fluids changed and not a glitch to date. Once we moved to Oklahoma found out real quick, doesn't move in snow forget it if it is 2 wheel drive but then again that is normal for a little pick up anyway. We are going to drive this one till it is duct taped together and maybe get a 4 x 4 Ranger next time. Extended cab or supercab so the beagles can ride too!

Ridge Ranger proves to be affordable
By Phil on 02/15/10 20:38 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

My first truck was an '87 ranger, and I've now had the 2000 model for 4 years. Put about 60,000 onto the existing 47,000 miles from date of purchase. Like my previous ranger, some things seem to need replacement every 4 years or so. I'm about to replace the clutch, although my driving has been a little harder given that I live in the country. Also Universal joints, alternator, heater core, filters of course... actually not too bad. now at about 100000, I'm flushing radiator, doing brakes, fuel filter, checking plugs and fuses, replaced battery 3x now it's always corroding-maybe I'll make a cover... needs fresh suspension. But overall suprisingly sturdy truck when it's taken care of.

Great Truck
By Jammerx on 01/31/10 10:47 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased my Ranger new. It is has the 2.5 I4 and 5 speed. It has served my family well and is about to become my daughters vehicle. We have had no problems with this truck. None. I cannot say that about any other vehicle I have ever owned. Would gladly purchase another Ford product. Gets great gas mileage, and is small enough to zip around in. Have towed a small U haul when we moved from Maine to the south... No issues. Its is still our daily driver as we teach our daughter to drive... (clutch is still intact LOL!!) Again GREAT VEHICLE!!!

Disappointed
By Kevin Wolbert on 01/12/10 18:36 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I have owned 3 Ford Ranger pick up trucks and this 4.0L truck was the worst vehicle I have ever owned. This 2000 Ranger with a 4.0 L and 4 wheel drive was awfully. Bad gas mileage and very poor reliability. I had to replace the head gasket at 100,000 miles and now the engine block is cracked. I bought this truck used and I am not sure how the previous owner took care of vehicle. I always change the oil ever 3000 miles and tried to maintain the vehicle. Unless Ford builds a better truck I will look at other brands before I ever consider another Ranger.

Great Little Truck!
By Satisfied Driver on 01/06/10 12:45 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I recieved this car brand new when I was sixteen in exchange for getting a full ride to college (I was pretty spoiled). I drove it until Christmas 2009 when I got t-boned and they totalled it out. One weird thing: after four wrecks (never give a teenager a new car people!) the air bags have still not deployed. I have never had a head-on collision, which may be the key. The good things: great gas mileage (~20mpg), the bed holds all my junk when I moved in and out of college, and I've never had to make any major repairs in ten years of owning it. There were two small things, both under $150. Two-seater truck isn't great for a family but it was perfect for me and I'll sure miss it!

Might Be a Mistake
By mike on 04/19/09 09:31 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought this truck used and within 6 months i have had to replace the U- joint on the drivetrain, the entire braking system, heater core and the heat has also stop working and the dealership has no idea why.

Looking to Buy my 2nd Ranger
By Bill on 12/07/08 09:48 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought my first Ford Ranger brand new with less than 100 miles on it in 2000. The day after Thanskgiving I was in a wreck and the truck was totaled. At the time I had over 178000 miles on it. I have to say the Ranger is the best vehicle I have ever owned price wise, mileage, maintenance, etc. With proper maintenance I only replaced the serpentine belt, timing belt, and the alternator during the 8+ yrs. I owned the truck. Loved the style, handling, and comfort it provided not to mention the deal I got from the dealership. My borther who deals in used cars was so impressed with my Ranger that he bought himself one and we both stand behind the Ranger 100%.

Great little truck
By Preston on 10/22/08 13:20 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Awesome truck! I bought it used and lost it in a bad wreck today. Truck I found out the hard way was built incredibly well, and it truthfully saved my four-year-old's and my life in a head-on collision. Over the years, I would maintain the truck and it just kept putting down the road. Gas mileage was about 20MPG and served as a great lightweight utility and commute truck. Overall, it was an amazing truck and will be missed.