Used 2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

a good working truck...
By riva40

2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had this truck since 2004 and never had any problems. its good on gas and the ride is quite comfortable, highly recommended!

Strong Runner
By Rio

2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck used in 2003. It has been the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. Gas mileage isn't that great (20 mpg), but a very strong performer. The 4.0 L V6 comes in very handy when you need it. Great acceleration for passing truckers on hills in the mountains. The 4WD has performed flawlessly in the winter, and I have pulled lots of people out of ditches and towed them up icy hills. The only things I've replaced on this truck are the front brake shoes (80,000 miles), a couple sets of tires, and the windshield. The only modification I had installed was a dual exhaust cat-back for $300, which greatly improved the power.

The 360 degree overall visibility is great to have. A nice high ride in spite of it's size.

I eventually had to disconnect the cab light, because it kept turning on by itself, the doors tend to make a clunking sound while driving, and the dash controls are a bit flimsy.

Great Truck
By razorback49

2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

We bought this little truck in Phoenix Arizona off a little mom and pop lot. Ranger XLT, Tonneau cover, 15 inch American racing wheels. It had 77,000 on it when we bought it and now has 126,500 and still going strong. Only thing we had to do to it was replace a front rotor and pads. Just had all the fluids changed and not a glitch to date. Once we moved to Oklahoma found out real quick, doesn't move in snow forget it if it is 2 wheel drive but then again that is normal for a little pick up anyway. We are going to drive this one till it is duct taped together and maybe get a 4 x 4 Ranger next time. Extended cab or supercab so the beagles can ride too!

Everything within easy reach, HWY mileage usually around 25 at 75 and 80 not that you get there in 20 seconds! Once you get it past 60 you can go pretty good. With the fiberglass tonneau cover can't haul anything very tall,not even and ice chest. Love the drivablity of it, easy to park.

Interior parts a little too much plastic. Broke a couple of window cranks, cheap enough at Auto zone. Sliding glass window seal has failed once, was a pain getting someone to fix it.finally ran a butter knife down it and filled across with silicone and wiped off the excess fixed the problem.

Ridge Ranger proves to be affordable
By Phil

2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

My first truck was an '87 ranger, and I've now had the 2000 model for 4 years. Put about 60,000 onto the existing 47,000 miles from date of purchase. Like my previous ranger, some things seem to need replacement every 4 years or so. I'm about to replace the clutch, although my driving has been a little harder given that I live in the country. Also Universal joints, alternator, heater core, filters of course... actually not too bad. now at about 100000, I'm flushing radiator, doing brakes, fuel filter, checking plugs and fuses, replaced battery 3x now it's always corroding-maybe I'll make a cover... needs fresh suspension. But overall suprisingly sturdy truck when it's taken care of.

Standard interior with the rubber floor and vinyl seats is very easy for cleaning. Fuel economy is great, must be better than 22 mpg. the 5 speed is classic makes a fun drive in the hills. On a cold day, the make of the cab keeps the heat in very well. parts are easy to find and repair by hand.

2wd has 3 springs in the back so for a stock ranger it's easy to become overloaded Interior has too much plastic on dash and doors. Needs an ash tray or tray for change Few rivits in fenders and doors, exterior is generally thin, easy to dent. Cab is much to small for necessary road tools n comfort

Great Truck
By Jammerx

2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased my Ranger new. It is has the 2.5 I4 and 5 speed. It has served my family well and is about to become my daughters vehicle. We have had no problems with this truck. None. I cannot say that about any other vehicle I have ever owned. Would gladly purchase another Ford product. Gets great gas mileage, and is small enough to zip around in. Have towed a small U haul when we moved from Maine to the south... No issues. Its is still our daily driver as we teach our daughter to drive... (clutch is still intact LOL!!) Again GREAT VEHICLE!!!

Good all around small pick up...

Wish ours would have had tilt wheel.