2000 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
10 year review
By Red on 05/08/10 22:46 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

My truck is a 2.5L manual with a 4.10 rear axle. I bought it new, and now have 39k miles on it. I have changed the oil twice. It sat for a few years, and it fired right up with a jump start. This is a very reliable truck. Acceleration is slow, but because of the gearing, it has no problem climbing hills, even with its 119hp engine. I replaced the cooling system thermostat recently because I needed to have it smoged, but it ran just fine with it stuck open. Clutch, brakes, and tranny are still fine. This is the best vehicle to abuse and neglect.

THE BEST
By Chris on 03/22/09 20:31 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I cant tell you how much I AM IMPRESSED With The ranger line this truck now has 303221 miles on it.I bought it new. and it is still going strong (everyday driver). other than regular maint. it has givin me no headaches. unlike my S10 WHICH WAS A BIG MISTAKE. IT IS NOW HAPPILY RESTING IN THE JUNKYARD.at 90000 miles 2 trannys and 1 engine later.I ALSO BOUGHT A 1994 RANGER 2.2 AUTOMATIC NEW. THIS TRUCK WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE TRANSMISSION FAILURE AT 135000. ALSO HAS BEEN FANTASTIC. Still have it as well drive it when I want to IT HAS 356000 miles on it.BOTH VEHICLES are still in fantastic shape no knocks and burn no oil.Getting ready to purchase another.and I WONT PART WITH THEESE 2

Awesome Truck
By PaulThePianoman on 02/04/08 16:41 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought it used with 30k miles on it. I have 81k now with no problems. I did all the standard maintenance. I hate to sell it but I need I need more seats with a growing family. Was rated a best buy by Edmunds when I bought it and they were right

Good truck
By jeff brown on 09/22/07 03:10 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Second one that I have owned. Looking to buy my third. Disappointed with the 3.0 like the 4.0 better

My Ford
By wingnut on 01/17/07 23:11 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck has been a good, solid means of transportation. It is good for hauling standard cargo (though the back suspension is a little soft for heavier loads). However, as a daily driver it has mediocre power and lousy gas mileage (17mpg mixed!). If you need to haul light cargo, get the 4cyl. If you need to pull things, get a big diesel. As for myself, my next purchase will be a good hatchback. However, I won't be buying anything until my truck dies. Admittedly, with a Ranger, that could be a very, very long time.

Why can't Ford build a reliable transmission
By Why Fords suck on 01/17/07 01:25 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is a vehicle that is rarely used, particularly over the last two and a half years since I drive a more gas thrifty 1999 Nissan Sentra. The vehicle has received regular maintenance per warranty, and yet at 58,000 miles is diagnosed with a failing third gear on an automatic. We had the same type of trouble on our 1991 Ford Taurus Wagon. Its transmission was replaced under warranty at 29,000 miles, and failed again about 50,000 miles later, at which time we all but gave the vehicle away as a trade-in on a reliable 1997 Honda Accord. The Ranger never got better than 20 miles to the gallon, and required premium fuel in the summer or when hauling any load. I hope Ford goes bankrupt.

2000 XLT Ranger Is Very Reliable
By Julie G. on 10/30/06 08:47 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I drive an average of 45,000 miles per year in my 2000 XLT 2WD Extended Cab Ford Ranger. This truck has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Regular maintenance and service is all that I have invested in this truck and my Ford Ranger just keeps rambling right along. XLT with all power package makes everything easy to use. Good stereo too. I would certainly recommend a new Ford Ranger to any one looking for a comfortable and durable ride that can put in a good days work and still clean up nice too. A perfect light truck!

2000 Ranger
By Jenni Latza on 07/30/05 12:34 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

GREAT truck. First ever owned. Only problem we have run into and has had to have periodic fixing were the pillar doors (?) that lead the A/C and heater air to the cab. They sometimes jam open or shut. The dealer says this could be because of the salt used in the winters in Ohio. Lubrication helps. Replaced upper control arms once, as roads are very bad in the Cleveland, OH area. Otherwise, a very good vehicle to buy.

My third Ranger
By salty on 05/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is a great truck. I wish the 3.0L had the power of some other 3.0L's have, 158hp is low. Mileage is a steady 19 - 21 Average with Automatic. Great sound system, CD with Radio. Tranmission does shift poorly under a light load, OK under a heavy load. Thin gauge step bumper, much thinner than my 92 was.

Thinigs to keep in mind.
By Donna Grimes on 02/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Rides rough, but it`s a truck. Most problems covered by extended warranty. Transmission wouldn`t shift properly, anti-knock box had to be replaced and gear shift lever was to move into gears and turn signal was replaced. All this before 40,000 miles.No power windows or locks, SPORT model has 3.0 liter engine, with air conditioning on between 200 and 250 miles on a tank of gas.