2000 Ford Ranger 2.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

XLT Regular Cab Pickup (2.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Great Truck
By razorback49 on 03/12/10 19:00 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

We bought this little truck in Phoenix Arizona off a little mom and pop lot. Ranger XLT, Tonneau cover, 15 inch American racing wheels. It had 77,000 on it when we bought it and now has 126,500 and still going strong. Only thing we had to do to it was replace a front rotor and pads. Just had all the fluids changed and not a glitch to date. Once we moved to Oklahoma found out real quick, doesn't move in snow forget it if it is 2 wheel drive but then again that is normal for a little pick up anyway. We are going to drive this one till it is duct taped together and maybe get a 4 x 4 Ranger next time. Extended cab or supercab so the beagles can ride too!

Great Truck
By Jammerx on 01/31/10 10:47 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased my Ranger new. It is has the 2.5 I4 and 5 speed. It has served my family well and is about to become my daughters vehicle. We have had no problems with this truck. None. I cannot say that about any other vehicle I have ever owned. Would gladly purchase another Ford product. Gets great gas mileage, and is small enough to zip around in. Have towed a small U haul when we moved from Maine to the south... No issues. Its is still our daily driver as we teach our daughter to drive... (clutch is still intact LOL!!) Again GREAT VEHICLE!!!

Great Little Truck!
By Satisfied Driver on 01/06/10 12:45 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I recieved this car brand new when I was sixteen in exchange for getting a full ride to college (I was pretty spoiled). I drove it until Christmas 2009 when I got t-boned and they totalled it out. One weird thing: after four wrecks (never give a teenager a new car people!) the air bags have still not deployed. I have never had a head-on collision, which may be the key. The good things: great gas mileage (~20mpg), the bed holds all my junk when I moved in and out of college, and I've never had to make any major repairs in ten years of owning it. There were two small things, both under $150. Two-seater truck isn't great for a family but it was perfect for me and I'll sure miss it!

First truck and lovin it!
By richardheppner on 04/27/08 12:11 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is my first pickup and I've enjoyed it. I have a 2000 that I picked up from the inlaws for little to nothing. It only had 30,000 miles and was hardly driven for a couple of years. So I got what I considered a super deal, and a great truck like brand new. I've had nothing but just a serpintine belt go bad and replaced. Super reliable!

Trusty Ranger
By Mattalicious on 02/01/08 00:18 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have never had any major issue with this pick-up and it has met or exceeded my needs all the time. Drove it from east Texas to Colorado and back and never had an issue (except me driving in the snow!). Would have preferred a V6 for more horsepower, but for my basic uses and the gas prices lately I am happy with my 4 cylinder engine. Road noise isn't the best but with a good CD playing, the sound system can drown it out pretty well. I will always prefer to drive around in my Ranger than any other vehicle (including full-size trucks and any car) just for comfort. Easy to drive because it isn't too big, but it is able to do light-duty hauling and other work.

Great truck!
By good_truck on 12/30/05 14:59 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had this truck since new, and abused it a lot. I almost never change the oil (about every 7-8,000 miles), and have done NO other maintenance on it. Brakes lasted over 100,000 miles, clutch is still good, engine runs like a top. The 2.5 is really a strong, bulletproof engine. I have really been impressed with the truck. It's not nice (Sport model with vinyl floorboards - the only option I have is A/C), but great basic transportation. Good thing I like the truck, because I don't think I could kill it if I wanted to!

stuck everywhere
By peter G. on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This "truck" come stock with a +2" lift and 16" wheels with big tires,but no matter where I go Its stuck! Little snow on the road? forget it. Pull off the road? huh! problems include, door pin sensor, the dome light hasnt shut off in 3 years even after sevice,Serive engine light comes on every other fill up,Ball joint ,brakes,tires quit running one day last year in the rain took two weeks to fix,rear "anti" locks,lock up if the roads are wet,emergency brake locks if truck sits for more than a day,drive shaft and u joints replaced at 30k tranny slips at begining of every gear,front stabilizer and bushings replaced at 26k

Don't even look at an S10
By TVman on 12/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have owned three rangers including the 2000 I have now. I have also driven S10s in the past. No comparison! The ranger wins hands down. The ride, handling,interior controls,looks, and overall quality are much better.I drive 30,000 miles a year and have had very few problems. If looking for a small truck, don't waste your time at a GM lot--buy the ranger.

ranger rob
By Robert Harvey on 10/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I am a commuter. A small 4 cylinder truck meets my needs for travel as well as giving me the flexability to do chores around the house (mulch, dump, loam, etc.) In addition, the Ranger is a nice looking truck (rims,wheels,chrome bumpers, etc.). Don't quite understand why the engine requires 2 spark plugs per cylinder...if it is for extra power in the four cylinder?...it is not happening! Better combustion? Salesman did not know!

Best Truck I've ever owned
By John Cato on 04/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Best Truck I've ever owned--don't need to say more.