2000 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
It's a good small truck.
By Mike on 07/22/08 21:30 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

My Ranger is an awesome truck, except for the gas mileage (it's a truck, what do you expect). I have the 4 door (2dr with two rear hinged drs), it's also a 5-speed manual and has the 4L V6 engine (heard that the 4L was the better of the two engines), 4x4 off road pkg and tears through the snow. I bought it at 46500 miles and put 20500 miles on it so far, and also halled a 630 lb load of scrap steel with now problems what so ever in the bed. With the truck being 8 years old now, the only prblems are the power locks are going out and the cd and cassette player is also going out. That's great for an 8 year old truck with 67000 miles. Have no regets here!

OK, but better out there.
By Andy on 07/06/08 20:00 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Not a bad little truck, extended cab has come into handy with putting hunting and fishing stuff right behind the driver seat. Stepside gives a trendy look but doesn't do much good with the Tanoe cover. Got the 3.0V6 with the 5speed automatic and it has little trouble hauling half a ton and towing 3/4 of a ton which is pretty exceptional for a small truck. Only problem I have had was the master fuse blowing and the alternator not charging the battery and the truck dying while driving through town. (Not fun at all.) Overall 8/10.

Not a good truck
By w.pratt on 08/04/07 07:13 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Bought truck at 60000 miles. Looked and ran good but immediately ran into trouble, while on trip left front abs brake failed. Cost 550 bucks at dealer for new rotor pads and wheel bearing because sensor is part of the bearing. 2 years later same scenario on other side. Also front axle stared growling, haven't fixed that yet, as need another 12oo bucks for this. Now at 98000 miles relegated to only driving in winter, as it is now a carportqueen. Also inside box rotting out, although plastic outside looks like new.

Low Budget 4x4
By John on 07/17/07 19:19 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I bought this truck used in 2005 with a 3.0LV6, with 68K miles on it. It provided me with a 4x4 at an affordable price for a Highschool student. Now, two years later, I have 86K miles and have had nothing go wrong with it other than normal wear and tear. For the price, you are getting a well-designed vehicle inside and out! Definitely a must have for any highschool student that has a parent willing to help them finance. Definitely not for anyone who needs to do heavy hauling or drives more than one other person in it though.

Not too bad
By John on 07/11/07 07:52 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Bought a 2000 Ford Ranger XLT with a 3.0L V6 4wd. The one word that best describes it is reliable. Bought it with 68k miles on it, and other than regular wear and tear, I have never had any problems with it. This truck is best for anyone who mainly drives by themselves, wants 4wd, and is looking for something newer at a lower price. I wouldn't reccomend it if you drive more than just you and one other person. No more room (even with the extended cab.), or if you have heavy hauling to do.

Scrap yard material
By DOsborn on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I purchased the vehicle about a year and a half ago and have had nothing but problems with it. I have had ABS brake issues, fuel sensor problems, transmission problems,oil pressure sensing problems, rust problems, and more stuff that would take too long to mention. The reliability of this auto is terrible and it's plague with numerous technical service bullitens and recalls. You would think that a vehicle who's design has remained unchanged for the last 10 years would have all of the bugs worked out of it. If you are looking for a good truck, don't look to Ford.

Keeps Runnin'!
By WillRun4Food on 09/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

As I get ready to trade in my Ranger, I have to leave feedback. What a great truck...I drive quite a bit, and have had nothing but good luck with this Ranger...my 2nd. I have needed no repairs, other than oil changes and a tire recall...dealership even told me I had over 50% of my brakes left! Would recommend this truck to anyone!

A Good Truck
By cmenchen on 04/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I needed a pickup ruck for light hauling, ie. lawn tractor, snowmobile, etc. The bed, while not as big as a full size has plenty of room for everything I need. It is very menuvarable and has good visability. It has the 3.0L V6 Automatic trans. which seems lacking in pep for a 6 cylinder. Gas mialage is about 16 mph, which I hear is good for a pickup truck but seems a little on the low side to me. All in all this is a great truck with plent of room in front and enough room in the extended cab for a car seat or any odds and ends you want to tote around without getting wet.

'00 Ford Ranger XLT: One Perfect Pickup!
By JasonT on 04/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I bought my Ranger in late August/ early September '01. The mileage was about 24k and it was still in excellent condition. The overall look of the truck was one of the main reasons why I bought it. Another reason was because I liked the fact that there was a Flex-Fuel engine in it. Even with just 150 horses, this engine moves the Ranger along like there is no tomorrow! Since I have purchased it, I have installed a hood deflector which makes this truck look simply beautiful! I couldn't ask for a better truck.