Very Fun
By Chris R. on
1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB
I purchased my '99 Ford Ranger Sport 4x4 in the summer of '07. It's been pretty good, all things considered. A 4.0L OHV (245 CID) V6 makes this truck take off very well with the 5 speed auto. It's been a very fun daily driver / project truck for me. This is probably one of Ford better products by far. The "Sport Package" really gives this truck a nice edge by replacing the cheesy chrome body accents with painted accents that match the body. This truck is just what I need, not too big and not too large. I'd say the pound for pound use you can get out of the truck is much better compared to the full size truck on the market. The Ranger is a very great value!
Favorite Features
Sport bucket seats a nice and comfy. 4.0 engine is loaded with torque and is built like a rock. Interior is simple, sweet, and to the point. 18.5 mpg (I drive country roads) out of a 4x4 pickup with a large V6 is quite good. Engine compartment is easy to work in and is not cramped
Suggested Improvements
4.0 V6's have bad problems with cracked heads (rebuilt my 4.0 at 78,000... $2750 for a rebuild). Vacuum lock front hubs for 4 wheel drive fail regularly (the best fix was just to slap some manually operated ones on for $100). Transmission valve body gasket blows ($225 repair at the shop)