Terrible
By Chris on
1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB
Bought this truck close to a year ago and I've had nothing but problems with it. I bought it, found out the ball joints needed to be replaced. A dealership cannot legally sell a vehicle that is in bad mechanical shape, so I called them and they agreed to pay the cost of the ball joints. Then I found out that I needed new cylinder heads and a head gasket, they paid half. Then the wheel bearing went and so did the hubs. Used hubs are hard to come by as you need a special tool to take a hub off this ranger without breaking it. I keep getting failing idle control valves as well. My boss use to own it, he put $3000 into it. Truck has 246000 km on it, but it shouldn't be breaking this much.
Favorite Features
Its got alright fuel economy, even when in 4wd. But that also depends on how hard you drive it, I've passed people on a 2 lane highway and I've actually noticed the fuel gauge goes down just from that single pass.
Suggested Improvements
Everything. Especially power! How can you give a pickup 160hp and say its good to pull a 5000 lbs trailer...even worse is that the newer rangers have a 3L and they have 200+ hp
By thadcornett
on 07/03/13 21:28 PM (PDT)

I bought a '99 XLT regular cab in 2003, it had 3000 miles on it.It's hard to believe how good of a vehicle these trucks are.I have had it in places that 4x4's could not go and put them to shame that a 2 wd could out perform on hills like mine.I don't abuse it but sometimes you have to enjoy yourselves.Now it has over 135,000 miles on it and still runs like new,never had a major problem out of it yet.I would recomend to anyone that these trucks are worth buying.I just can't believe their stopping production of one of the best selling truck's of all time.Anyway i know there are good and bad of any models,but mine is the prime example of what Henry Ford wanted his vehicles to be.

By thadcornett
on 05/02/13 12:07 PM (PDT)

I bought my orange 99 ranger xlt 2wd in 2003 and its never let me down ive had that truck in places 4wd's couldnt go and thats the truth.ive put over 100,000 miles on it and all i had to cangr so far is the ball joints.