1999 Ford Ranger Consumer Review: Good, simple truck

1999 Ford Ranger - Consumer Review

XLT Extended Cab Pickup (2.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Good, simple truck
By martinjmpr on

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought it new in 1999, sold it in 2003 with 94,000 miles (almost 25k/year.) I deliberately got the simplest vehicle I could, 2wd, 3.0l V-6 and 5-speed, with the XLT package for the cloth seats, AC, and 15" wheels. I drove this vehicle all over Wyoming and Colorado for 4 years and it never had a serious problem. Only minor problems were with the stock seat, rear leaf springs, and a "check engine" light that came on at about 64k. Very rugged, and surprisingly comfortable for long distance trips. Build quality was impressive - this was my first American manufactured vehicle in 15 years. No unusual rattles, no difficulty with the engine or tranny. Gas mileage was 19- 20 city, 24-26 hwy.

Now that gas is so expensive I kind of wish I had that flex-fuel engine back! Comfortable and rugged, good looking truck. Steering was responsive and the truck was fun to drive. AC was amazingly cold! Power was OK. Pulled a small trailer just fine with the rear bumper and a ball hitch.

Leaf springs sagged noticeably when I put a shell on it, had to get add-a- leafs. Also added limited slip diff as this was not available. Had to take it back to have the drivers seat re- stuffed, it was sagging after a few weeks. Didn't like the 2/3-1/3 split bench, buckets would be better.