1999 Ford Ranger 2.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Good, simple truck

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab - Consumer Review

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Good, simple truck
By martinjmpr on

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought it new in 1999, sold it in 2003 with 94,000 miles (almost 25k/year.) I deliberately got the simplest vehicle I could, 2wd, 3.0l V-6 and 5-speed, with the XLT package for the cloth seats, AC, and 15" wheels. I drove this vehicle all over Wyoming and Colorado for 4 years and it never had a serious problem. Only minor problems were with the stock seat, rear leaf springs, and a "check engine" light that came on at about 64k. Very rugged, and surprisingly comfortable for long distance trips. Build quality was impressive - this was my first American manufactured vehicle in 15 years. No unusual rattles, no difficulty with the engine or tranny. Gas mileage was 19- 20 city, 24-26 hwy.

Favorite Features

Now that gas is so expensive I kind of wish I had that flex-fuel engine back! Comfortable and rugged, good looking truck. Steering was responsive and the truck was fun to drive. AC was amazingly cold! Power was OK. Pulled a small trailer just fine with the rear bumper and a ball hitch.

Suggested Improvements

Leaf springs sagged noticeably when I put a shell on it, had to get add-a- leafs. Also added limited slip diff as this was not available. Had to take it back to have the drivers seat re- stuffed, it was sagging after a few weeks. Didn't like the 2/3-1/3 split bench, buckets would be better.