1999 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Good Truck
By RobsReview on 08/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had the truck for a year and like it a lot, I have a 2,000 lb. Ski boat that I can tow easily and I have the small V6 (3.0 liter). It is very dependable and will buy another when they have a true four door and V8 option which is supposed to debut in 2006.

99' XLT Ranger 4x4
By demoncleaner on 08/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Good and some bad. Got the 4.0 V6 in a manual. Good engine, make the most of it with manual, and pull 20 mpg on highway which is only 2 mpg less than my old 2wd 4 cyl. Going on 60K, good engine no probs with drivetrain. Lots of little things have been a pain. Park brake got stuck in middle of summer, had to have it towed. Door ajar light always on, Now ABS light on. Off road package outstand, limmited slip is much better off-road, rarely have to use 4wd. good in snow, put weight in back though.

Good little truck
By cbunner on 07/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I like the truck and plan to drive it until it won't go anymore. One thing to watch for is the flair side bed opening at the tail gate is < 4 ft so it will not fit drywall or plywood. That is why I got the styleside, not as pretty, but more functional. 4.0 V6 gives a good amount of power for the mountains. When it is time to buy again, if Ford as the 4-door cab, I will look strongly at the Ranger again.

It's OK
By Practical on 06/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have had my truck for over a year. It does it's job good. I have had to replace the starter and the oxygen sensor. I have owned a 96' 4cyc ranger before, that one and my current one has the same problem, the driver side door sensor has problems stopping the "door opem" chim when the door is closed and it's hot outside. After having 2 Rangers it's time for something different. I have 5 TSB's that refer to my current truck. Don't lower trucks, they look exteremly ugly.

Found On Road Dead
By GACop on 05/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have always been a ford man, but this truck really stinks. Bought it slightly used at the dealership. Have had the transmission worked on a total of 3 times since i got it. Had the alternator replaced. The harness for the headlights burned out. The lights in the dash quit working. EGR valve replace way too early, Twice.

A Big Let Down
By a big let down on 05/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Major problems!!!! I am the original owner of this truck. I have had numerous recalls!(Tires, Switches, etc...) Massive electrical problems. 4x4 problems. Numerous dealers could not figure what the problems were. Finally they said just replace the transfer case,(at my cost of course), and it was still never right. ABS problems. Again, dealers said it was corrected, and as soon as I leave the dealership, more ABS problems. This was the cause of my Wreck. Bottom line is BUYER BEWARE!!!! Ford Quality care in plain english SUX! Techs are uneducated in their product. They can never figure out what is wrong with it. I will NEVER own another ford again.

Luv the little truck
By adirondacker on 03/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I am only a few months away from paying off the 0.9% financing and have loved owning this truck. Feels strong and sturdy but much better milage than my fathers' F150 and brothers' 250. Got all the amenities (power everything) with lower price.

Pain in the butt!
By REL on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck used with 26000 miles on it.The cushioning in the drivers seat was completely worn down,and I can feel the steel pan whenever I drive.The door ajar light will come on,and the dome light will stay on(theres no off switch on the light).I only get 20 mpg in mixed driving(w/the 2.5 4cyl.)And The mass air flow sensor will malfunction causing the engine to hesitate and stall.Ive owned 2 toyota's prior to this,and will sell this p.o.s and buy another !

RANGER REVIEW
By JOSH on 02/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I've had it for a while. I wanna get rid of stick and get a fullsize truck so I can lower it and put huge rims on it. This truck ran good and was really fun to drive

Not too shabby
By idrwlnood on 01/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

Ive put 15,000 miles on it in the past 6 months. This is my first newer vehicle ( I was driving a 79 suburban) While the ranger lacks the bang of a 454 big block, it more than makes up for it in all around performance. The only problem Ive had is a faulty sensor that set off the check engine and ABS lights but, it only cost a few bucks to fix. I reccomend premium fuel (tends to rattle a bit if you dont)Wish I would have had the $ for a 4wd and extended cab model, but thus far I am happy with the purchase